Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 Letter Sent by Major General notifying a father that his son is missing in action in Philippines

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by Heartfeltzero, May 11, 2022.

1. Heartfeltzero

Heartfeltzero Active Member

The letter is dated May 7th, 1943. But it states that he was missing since May 7th 1942. So I’m guessing the parents at some point stopping hearing from their son which led them to inquire about him when they were told he was missing in action.

01B3FCA3-3B88-4478-8251-11B1F0A3F725.jpeg

The letter reads :

“Dear Mr. Fincket

The records of the War Department show your son, Sergmant Herbert C. Fincke, 20,842,944, Coast Artillery Corps, missing in action in the Philippine Islands since May 7, 1942.

All available information concerning your son has been carefully considered and under the provisions of Public Law 490, 77th Congress, as amended, an official determination has been made continuing him on the records of the War Department in a missing status. The Law cited provides that pay and allowances are to be credited to the missing person's account and payment of allotments to authorized allottees are to be continued during the absence of such persons in a missing status.

I fully appreciate your concern and deep interest. You will, with out further request on your part, receive immediate notification of any change in your son's status. I regret that the far-flung operations of of the present war, the ebb and flow of combat over great distances in isolated areas, and the characteristics of our enemies impose upon some of us this heavy burden of uncertainty with respect to the safety of our loved ones.

Very truly yours,

J. A. ULIO Major General,

The Adjutant General”

Further research shows that he was with the 200th Coast Artillery. They were sent to the Philippines in 1941. They were there when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. The 200th CA surrendered to the Japanese 14th Army on April 9th 1942. Elements of the unit were forced by the Japanese to march into captivity in the Bataan Death March. So it’s likely he was killed while that was happening.
    D2F36843-F1FF-43F6-A776-0F969C0094EE.jpeg