Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 Open Resource Group Official Launch

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Otto, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

On the 6th of June last year, with no fanfare or publicity, WW2|ORG was opened as a repository for the the people, places, events, weapons, & other useful WWII research we generate here on the forums. Over the past 12 months we've slowly worked to expand the site and add content. As of 6 June of this year, we've amassed 1,869 content pages, and 179 media files.

So, although we've been operating at a good clip for over a year, I've decided to make 6 June 2017 our grand opening.

There is still much to do on the WW2|ORG front. This includes better integration with WW2F.com, a site redesign, instructions about how WW2F and WW2Talk members can contribute to WW2|ORG, and much, much more. With the WW2F.com migration still very much a work in progress, this is a very busy time for me, but the vision I've had for what the WWII Forums/WWII Network are to be is becoming a reality.

A lot has been done, and there is even more to do, but this is a milestone I'm happy and proud to mark as we continue to move forward and grow. A huge thanks to all the WW2|ORG contributors, in particular the quietly mighty Fargo, and all the Patrons who helped us get to this stage.

There is a lot more to come!

Mussolini, Fargo, GRW and 2 others like this.
  2. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Well done Otto

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Excellent work, Otto!

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I looked briefly at the site last night. It sure was impressive to see the work you have done. The site looks nice. Well done and thanks.

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Took a look at it, looks like it will be an interesting informative site.

6. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It's a year in, but we've really only just begun.

Due to it's wide capability, we are using the same software as wikipedia, but there will be some significant differences in how it is used.
    • There will be edits to the layout to give our site a different look and feel than wikipedia proper.
    • To maintain a high level of quality, the site will not be open to any/all contributors as is the case with wikipedia proper. Only approved members from either the WWII Forums (WW2F.com) or WW2Talk (WW2Talk.com) will be contributors.
    • Unlike wikpedia proper, where an entry must have an appropriate level of fame to be covered, any subject/topic/person relevant to WWII is a valid topic for the site. Any battle or unit of any size is appropriate for entry, as is anyone who is looking for a place to enter their father/grandfather (& mother/gandmother) who served during the conflict.
    • Aside for the encyclopaedia portion, we are creating an archive of digital copies of books/technical manuals, to provide a useful primary source reference for researchers.
    This is all being done concurrently with the still in progress WW2F migration and forum imports. As I said, we've really only just begun.

7. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    Good to see all your hard work coming to fruition, looks great and yet another very useful source of information. Congratulations. Brian

8. Fargo

Fargo Active Member WW2|ORG Editor

I really appreciate the thanks Otto! It means a lot. To all those now viewing the site, feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions (usability suggestions are especially important at this stage, e.g. "I'm having trouble finding x kind of information") and I'll be sure to see to improving the site in any way possible.

Otto and CAC like this.
  9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Good job, Otto & Fargo. It's great to watch as the vision becomes reality.

Fargo likes this.
  10. Magpie

Magpie Member

New site looks good, thanks for putting in the work.

Can anyone tell me where the huge TO&E listing for the 21st Army Group has gone to? Really missing it as I used to use it all the time !

Cheers