Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 RAF base relic recovery

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by Steve T, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Steve T

Steve T Member

Hi all

I wanted to share with you the work of the WW2 Relic Retrieval & Preservation Group (RRPG), and their recent visit to an RAF airbase dump.

The dump was located after some extensive research, landowner contacted and permission gained to dig the dump. After an initial visit to survey the site by myself, the group returned a few weeks later to clear rubbish left by illegal diggers, and to dig test pits to determine the extent of the dump.

The result was one of the most productive relic recovery operations ever performed by the RRPG. I estimate that more than 100 No. 28/30 bomb pistols were recovered, along with 50+ No 848 (or possibly 42), nose fuze components. Along with these finds, large amounts of Air Ministry and War Department marked relics were recovered, as well as numerous personal items.

The video of the dig can be found by following the below link.....

WW2 RAF relics - Fantastic finds - Feb 2013 - YouTube

Whilst the majority of AM marked parts have been identified, there are a few that still elude precise ID. If any of you can help ID anything in the video please post a reply.

I hope you find the video interesting.

Steve T

(Chairman, RRPG)

urqh likes this.
  2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Thats a big jar of Brylcream....And Jaffa cakes...Don't tell me you found them there....Good video. Good finds.

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Nice work!

4. Steve T

Steve T Member

Thanks guys :) And no, the Jaffa cakes were Harry's dinner :)

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Great work lads, you must have spent a hell of a day. Excellent to have been able to re-unite those fuze parts again.

6. Steve T

Steve T Member

Certainly was Skipper. I am also just getting a complete No. 848 together from the bits recovered :)

7. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I've said it before that I'm just as glad we don't have spots like that here, but after seeing this I wish we did.
    For selfish reasons of course. Looks like a lot of fun & finding a bit of History is topping on the cake eh'.

8. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Great stuff ! Having done a bit of this myself in the past, I'm quite envious at your 'day out'.....:)

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

We have so many, that even if I went everyday I wouldn't have enough time in seven lives, if not more. As a matter of fact there are many foreign teams who come and dig on the continent, whether official associations who dig up aircraft with all the permissions, souvenir hunters or amateur with metal dectectors (if permission from private owners ) who go home with bits of unidentified rusted metal. There are also many who dig up illegaly.