Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 US Airborne Winter Gloves

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by AirB44, Nov 1, 2015.

1. AirB44

AirB44 New Member

Hello everyone! I'm a new user on WW2 forums and was wondering what kind of winter gloves other than the leather palmed ones did the Airborne wear?

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The US Army went over to the M-1943 uniform in the latter part of 1943 and early 1944. It was a standardization of sorts to ease the logistical nightmare of having various uniforms being made and issued to various types of troops (tankers, paratroopers, regular troops, mountain troops, rangers, cavalrymen, air corps, uniforms for foreign armies, etc). Other than the wool inserts for canvass trigger finger mittens created for the 10th Mountain Division, the paratroopers wore what the rest of the Army wore in cold weather, wool inserts for leather gloves as far as I can determine. The picture displayed are M-1965 issue. I can't find any older. My dad said he had some in Korea during the war, and that they were of WW2 initial issue. I've read that much US Army cold weather gear went unissued during the winter of 1944-45 due to the choice Ike had to make for shipping priorities; gas, bullets and food as opposed to heavy winter gear. Guess what got left behind; the winter gear. Maybe that's why the trigger finger mitts that my dad got in Korea were still in pristine condition when he got them.

[​IMG]

After the introduction of the M-1943 uniform, the only modification to it was the addition of canvass cargo pockets to the paratroopers fatigue pants. That and their fierce refusal to give up their Corcoran Jump Boots for the standard issue combat boots with the leather uppers.

[​IMG]

The 504 PIR kept their khaki paratrooper uniform throughout the war, refusing the M-1943 uniform in favor of the much better looking and functionable M-1942 paratrooper uniform.

[​IMG]