Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 US Paras

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by johkaz, Dec 31, 2005.

1. johkaz

johkaz recruit

Hi to all,
    I am a newbie here, and i was wondering if anyone can help me with some questions please?
    What i need to know, is about the WW2 US paratroopers that fought in Euroupe.

I have made a pair of figures up in 1/6th scale, and i need to know how authentic are they?
    This page from my website, shows the figures as i have made them:

http://www.johkaz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/corbin.html

One of the main things that i need to know about, concerns the rifles and machine guns.
    As i have made my figures up, with the guns under the chute webbing.
    Is this correct?

Also, does anyone have any pictures of how the guns were worn for the drop?

Many thanks in advance.

Gary

2. lazybather

lazybather Member

It looks like a labour of love Gary, well done!

I'm not sure how correct it is, (even though my company is soon to release some WWII 1/72nd scale US Airborne mini's soon)but it looks right and I wasn't happy that such good work was being ignored here.

Keep up the good work mate!

lazybather

3. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Question. Why is a Technical Sergeant 2nd Grade carrying an M1918A3 machinegun? This guy's rank places him as either a platoon sergeant or as someone in a company headquarters.
    As the former I would expect him to be carrying an M-1 rifle. As the later, an M-1 carbine with folding stock.
    If you are making him a platoon sergeant in a weapons platoon his job (MOS 651 rising from MOS 604 or 605 light or heavy machinegunner) would be to direct the machinegun section(s) not to operate the guns himself.
    Alot of effort there. It's worth making the context of the figures correct too.

4. lazybather

lazybather Member

So no chance he 'organised' an M1918A3........along with a few cartons of winston cigarettes..........before the drop then?

;)

5. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

No, there is the chance of that but, somebody else was going to carry it. I ought to know having retired a Navy Chief (a rough equivalent in rank). And, the cigarette of choice was Lucky Strike back then.

6. lazybather

lazybather Member

for US troops..........but if your tastes have gone 'native' after spending a few months in the UK then you'll want winstons or john players........

There's always rule to follow when designing miniatures, but occasionally the 'real' thing will always raise an exception to the rule.......

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This is real trivia but T A is right about Lucky Strikes. Also readily available from UK P/Xs - certainly 8th Air Force ones - at the time were Camel Cigarettes.

8. lazybather

lazybather Member

So if your stationed here, you don't screw British whores, cause you can screw the US nurses on leave instead...........?

You'll smoke whatever you can get your hands on.......if its 4am your in a 'dive' and your desperate enough?

And your right Martin, it is trivial........sad eh?

:-(