Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2F Book Club ~ Preliminary Announcement

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by dgmitchell, Apr 4, 2009.

1. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Check. It's on my schedual. I have worked through about a quarter of the book already, and it has grabed me like no other book has in years.

Is there any requirment for submitting questions ahead of time so that the author has some time to prepare for what will be asked?

2. texson66

texson66 Ace

DG, I just bought the book so I hope I can support the discussion o the 28th of June! (I hope that's not the same day as the switchover to a new, better server!)

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm about half way through the book, and I'm taking notes like a fiend, since I won't have access to the book on that day (it's a library copy). Very fascinating read.
    David, will you be providing any kind of discussion guide, or are we supposed to generate our own questions?

4. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Mike -- I am glad that you are enjoying the book. Although you are not required to submit questions in advance, you are more than welcome to do so. I'll send Mr. Freeman a list of any questions that I receive by about two weeks before the chat.

mikebatzel likes this.
  5. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Lou -- At least for the initial discussion, the only requirement is that participants need to read the book and have questions to ask. I am sure you will satisfy both requirements! If you have questions that are particularly complex, feel free to send them to me in advance and I shall forward them to the author, so that he is ready for you!

6. texson66

texson66 Ace

7. texson66

texson66 Ace

Well, I have enjoyed the Forgotten 500 so far.

But this passage is probably in error:

P. 10, paragraph 3:

"To get to Romania, the Allied bomber crews had to fly westward, usually from bases in the recently liberated Italy, across the Adriatic Sea, across Yugoslavia to their targets in Romania.":eek:

Sorry, Romania is north and east of Italy...going west out of Italy leads to Spain!:D

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Yeah, I caught that, too. I've come across several of those types of errors in a variety of books, including one where the whole map scale was wrong for the maps of battle movements. Made it difficult to follow the action. I would put the blame on the editors rather than the author.

9. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Yep. Proofing is an inexact science!

10. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Technically, the 'mishap' isn't grammatical. Chances are the editor probably doesn't have much of an idea what he is reading (if he even sees it as a story, rather then just looking for grammatical mistakes) so for all he knows, you fly Westward to get from Italy to Yugoslavia.

In just about every book I've read, both Historical, Sci Fi, and Fantasy, there are always a few grammatical or print errors, where words get cut off, the wrong 'version' of the word is used, or something along what the above says.

11. texson66

texson66 Ace

Well, another comment on the Forgotten 500...the American-Serb couple (George and his Serb wife) are fascinating people....talk about being on the stage of WWII ...really quit thrilling and suspenseful!

With all the things that happened to those two, I am absolutely surprised that there wasn't a movie made about their adventures just getting back to the US!

12. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Yep, one good way of getting out of a occupied country is to have Mrs. Göring yell at anyone who askes for your papers.

13. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

I cannot imagine the terror of that plane ride. At the same time, I cannot imagine a better story to carry out of the war!

14. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

I have to wait until June 1st but i already plan to purchase the book then, so ill have it read by the 28th.

15. tikilal

tikilal Ace

This may be jumping the a bit but I am a slow reader and would like to know what books are coming after so I can get them and read them in time. Thanks.

16. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

17. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Tik -- I am going to try to get Alex Kershaw for the next chat but I need to see how the first one works before I start recruiting for the second. Kershaw has written several fine books and I am not sure which we will discuss. Stay tuned . . .

18. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

19. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

I hope its the bedford boys, i plan on getting the book next week :D make it somewhat easy but any book id be up for.

20. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

> "To get to Romania, the Allied bomber crews had to fly westward, usually from bases in the recently liberated Italy, across the Adriatic Sea, across Yugoslavia to their targets in Romania.":eek:
    > Sorry, Romania is north and east of Italy...going west out of Italy leads to Spain!

Actually from what I've read he could be partly right. With the Russians invading northern and western Romania in 1944, the bomber crews skirted around the south of Romania so their flight route was over more lightly defended southern then eastern regions and to avoid encountering both Luftwaffe and Russian fighter groups (the latter often mistakenly identified.)