Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWI German hate belts

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Steve, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Steve

Steve Member

Hi guys, I am looking for info on hate belts from WWI. I have a nice one that my great-grandfather brought back at the end of the war and I am wondering what inspired them. Also, A question on WWI German belt buckels, The hate belt has an interesting buckle on it. It is stamped with the usual "Gott Mit Uns" but is 4 1\2 in long and each end has a metal loop riveted into it, any ideas? I also have one that is stamped "IN TREUE FEST", what would this be for. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Steve--that sounds like a ww1 vets organization belt buckle. By the way--ill have your book out soon--as soon as I have time to mail it. :eek: :eek: [​IMG]

[ 13. August 2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

3. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

I think its a WW1 buckle from a Wurtemburg regiment; I have found a few them here on the Somme over the years.

The 'hate belts' in the British Army were made up by soldiers in the field; they were called this because you put on every badge aside from you own regiment - the assumption being that regimental pride made you hate every other mob but your own!

4. Steve

Steve Member

Hi Sommecourt; This belt came from a German officer and the buttons belong to 48 different Allied soldiers. :(