Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Canadian Equiptment + Arms

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by El_Pablo, Jul 7, 2005.

1. El_Pablo

El_Pablo New Member

via TanksinWW2
    In WW2, did Canadian ground troops just use the same weapons, helmets etc. as British Troops?

2. FNG phpbb3

FNG phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hi,

Canada, the forgotton third allied army of WW2.

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/

They seem to have pretty much been equiped in British armour, firearms and clothing.

For King, Country and the Commonwealth

FNG

3. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    im canadian and i can anwser this, my grandfather was a tank man and he didn't see combat till 1942, but when he did see combat i think he used a cromwell or sherman tank , im not sure. the canadians used british helmets , gerand rifles, bren guns , spitfires and hurricanes, lancasters, everything they used was british except for a large portion of their tank arsenal which was american ,and the gerand rifles were also used extensively.

4. FNG phpbb3

FNG phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    A lot of British units were equipment with Grants and then Shermans. Stands to reason that the Canadians also used them.

As for the Gerand, well that was just a good rifle when compared the Enfield.

FNG

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    gerand rifles

Presume you mean Garand?

It's also worth mentioning here that a large amount of equipment for the Commonwealth (I'm thinking especially aircraft) was produced in Canada, and a large amount of pilot training was done in Canada of Commonwealth Airmen.

6. FNG phpbb3

FNG phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I always say that canada was the forgotton ally.

They supplied considerable troop numbers with associated casulties and material needed.

Obviously everyone knows the Brits and US, the Assuies and New Zealanders also generaly get a mention (though no one generally seperates them beleiving them to be same!) But no one remembers the Canadians and Indians who fielded mutiple divisions as well as the South Africans and other commonwealth countries.

Does anyone have a break down of Allied infantry by nationality and percentage?

FNG

7. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Canada was still a British possession in WW2 if I'm not mistaken. Naturally, they contributed heavily to the British effort.

I have a No.4 Mk.1* Enfield made at Long Branch, Canada in 1943.

8. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Canada has had Dominion status, which is independence in internal affairs, since somewhere in the 1860s. Since then they worked to gain independence in external affairs as well. I don't think you can say they were still a British posession by WW2.

9. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Not sure but I believe Canada was granted independence in the late '40s.

10. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    to my knowledge the Canadians used mainly MK3 enfields and were then later issued NO.4 enfields and for a sniper rifle they used Ross Mk3, ive never heard of the using M1 garands though, they also used reising submachine guns but only in small numbers

11. El_Pablo

El_Pablo New Member

via TanksinWW2
    (By the way- Thanks everyone for the info).

Yeah I completely agree, I'm a Canadian living in England, and I'm taking History to the 6th form (grade 13 in North America I think), and throughout the syllabus there is no mention of Canadian soldiers etc. in WWII.It seems that lots of people ont know this - Like once, when I was in year 10 (I think this is grade 9) somebody from the 6th form heard me speak to one of my friends and when I was asked where I was from, he tried to indirectly telll me that my country was good for nothin and that Canada has done nothing for the world. I said that if it wasn't for us you'd all be speakin German now, and he wouldn't have it that Canada was even in the war. What sickens me also is that so many people underestimate Canada. I have no idea why - It voted the best counrty in 1996 and been the 2nd best ever since (norway being the best). Lots dont know about India being in the war as well.

12. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2

Many countries that fought in the war have been forgotten or over looked. Our history is now quite blind as we have many do-gooders trying to make life seam rosier.

13. El_Pablo

El_Pablo New Member

via TanksinWW2
    By the way I didn't mean any offence to England and stuff in my post, it was just past experience.