Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII-era shell detonates, hurts 7 campers

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by JagdtigerI, Jul 12, 2009.

1. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

2. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Well that was a short article! Wonder if they were digging around for stuff or??

3. bigfun

bigfun Ace

I didn't think about that, maybe another unexploded shell was right below the surface?

4. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

I know, they don't really explain how it happened but I would be interested in finding out, it is a cliff hanger.

5. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

lucky escape

6. Jock Williams

Jock Williams Member

When I was stationed in Germany 1970-1975 we in NATO expected 3-5 fatalities annually due to kids finding and playing with old grenades or people disturbing mines or other explosives near the surface of the soil. There are millions of such explosive items left around since WW1 -in fact in one location in France/Belgium there are upwards of one hundred tons of explosives buried near Messines that will one day explode -due to lightning or some other cause. These explosives will NEVER disarm themselves -so care is required at all times.
    The Ramstein/Bitberg area was ripe due to proximity to Battle of the Bulge battlefields -but the Maginot Line area and the last ditch German Rhine defenses were equally hazardous.
    There are explosives ordnance disarmament teams working in this area that will still be busy in the year 2100.

Jock Williams Yogi 13