Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII exhibition of Nazi war trophies in Gorky Park of Moscow

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by PzJgr, Nov 12, 2012.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Some interesting pics. I've noticed some German armor I have not seen before and a good number of older versions of the HE-111. Picture 13...what the heck is that?!?! Methinks the Russians were doing a little bit of modifying.

Common practice to show off to your fellow citizens the vast amount of war trophies that your country collected. A great selection of armour here. Most of these vehicles would have been picked over by the military machine of Russia to see what technology the Germans had and how they could use it within their own arms program. As we can see by some of the images some of these have been used as range targets to develop their own anti tank weapons. With a very small amount of Tiger 1’s built – Russia seems to have kept their fair share of them. One has to wonder how many they still have…….

Read More:
    WWII exhibition of Nazi war trophies in Gorky Park of Moscow

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Could pics 13 be an Elephant version?

Also I'm most impressed by the fact they captured a bloody Condor intact! Great pictures

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Number thirteen might be one of the prototypes the Germans had in the summer 1942 in AGS area with 12 cm cannon and if I recall correctly built on a Czech 38(t)? Then again it could be a combination vehicle...

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

Great photos, Ike. Are these part of the exhibit? They seem older, so what is shown today?

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Note the large group of crippled Veterans, all walking with crutches around the 88 canon.

6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I'm thinking the exhibit took place during the war if not after it in Moscow and the pics are of the exhibit. My guess

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'd guess between 1944 and 1946, most probably after May 1945 because some aircrafts seem absolutely intact

8. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Pretty unlikely they would capture a Fw 200 with "Fliegerfuher Atlantik" markings intact as AFAIK they operated mostly from Bordeaux in France, though some were possibly impressed in the Stalingrad airlift, so I would go for post war too (but the link below for Sturer Emil mentions a 1943 exhibition). Post war would also explain the early He 111 recovered from some depot (they were no longer in service by Barg
    Picture 13 is Sturer Emil a 128mm on the never developed vk 3001 chassis (proposed successor to Pz IV).
    Achtung Panzer! - Prototypes !

Picture 10 on the other hand baffles me, possibly a Hungarian 40mm SP mount.

There is some Japanese equipment but it could be from the Nomdurman incident, on the other hand the king tiger ia very late war and the Italian 47mm SPs were never sent to ARMIR so likely to captured sowhere in the Balkans in German use.

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I agree, the 1943 exhibition makes no sense, this is right in the middle of the war and Stalin had other things to do than display German tanks: he'd have painted a red star on all of them and turn them against the Germans rahter than play little soldier at Moscow....
    1945 seems more than logical but I still can't understand how the Condor could get there intact. (I need to read my archives, but I think there were a bunch in repair at Chateaudun and those operational at Merignac The only solution I can think of that it was abandonned in a hangar after some sabotage and restored immediatley after the war and flown to Moscow. I wonder whether this trophy was part of an exchange with the French because I remember ther was a similar exhibition at le Bourget in 1945 and Stalin was proud to offer the Normandie Niemen Yaks to their pilots when they returned to France, so I'm wondering whether the FW-200 was a return of courstesy to Uncle Joe.
    Also isn't there a Me-163 partly visible on the same picture? This would definitely exclude the 1943 scenario.