Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Forums Migration Complete - Still Plenty To Do...

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Otto, Mar 3, 2017.

1. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Well we have a Marine as Chairman of the JCS (Dunford), a Marine as Secretary of Offense (renamed from Defence in honor of "CHAOS" James Mattis), and a Marine as Secretary of Homeland Security (Kelly). Otto may be wise to keep some obstacles in your way so you don't overrun his perimeter and take control. We don't need to run everything.

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

IS this thing on?.......Looks like I have been activated

Otto likes this.
  3. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Well this is new! Looks good, Time to explore :D

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Release the Juggs. ..He should have a place in the WW2F Hall of Fame.

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

#3-"I don't like the new curtains."
    Dudes don't care about the curtains. ..What's wrong with green. Think of all the Eagle fans you've offended (kj).
    Carpet is another story. i like short shag. In a heart shape.

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm like a child on Christmas morn.

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This probably sounds silly, but is there a button for 'new posts' or 'updated posts since your last visit' etc ? Is it somewhere obvious and I'm missing it.....?

8. Owen

Owen O

newposts.JPG

9. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

"Report" button should be at the top of a post. Had trouble finding it.

10. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

When you are on your phone, "recent posts" shows up only when you scroll to the top. The tab drops down.

11. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I agree.

It seems like since the move, we're having problem with spammers posting posts/links that are certainly dangerous to click on. I wonder if there is a way to prevent robots from joining or blocking the IP?

12. OpanaPointer

To be free with the admins' time I'd suggest each new member be screened before they join. I do that on the forums I admin. I also report them so the proper people can look into how they found the forum in the first pace.

13. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Another forum I am on does the same - there is a new member questionnaire and then current members are free to ask them questions etc. After at least a 48 hour period, the new comer is vetted and is either accepted to the forum or denied entry (usually based on maturity etc as its an 18+ only forum).

14. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I am hoping the administration "Closely vetted" all members, old and new before letting them imn to the new format. To make sure they are who they say . Think of the potential chaos otherwise. A war might break out here :)

Of course if you are over 75 you should be exempt !

Gaines

15. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The site is still very much a work in progress. I've not had close to as much time as I'd like to work on it.

The "new posts" feature needs some attention. It disappears based upon space available, so smaller phones will have trouble. I'm working to make it always visible.

Spam filters have not yet been properly set up. I put in some query questions, but I'll have a deeper look at this over the weekend.

Do avoid duplication, please give any feedback in this thread here:
    http://ww2f.com/threads/xenforo-setup-feedback-thread.68159

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

'Screening members'
    I'd be against questioning new members...Let their posts speak... Not a fraternity. i'd prolly fail the test.
    Thinking i was asked the date the war with Japan officially ended...Or was it the date WW2 in Europe ended...Don't remember the question or answer now...yikes.

i enjoyed the 'Alternatesources' guy... Buddy worked for it. Never rude, encouraged discussion.

17. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Vetting each new member isn't practical, I dont have time to do that and people would still slip through. Not to mention the number of useful people it would turn away. The best way is to come up with effective bot filters and deal with the spammers as they arise.

18. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Otto, my apologies, ill attempt at being humorous based on all the talk about extreme vetting of immigrants. Why I included exemption for those over 75, me & a few others.

I find our current political situation rather scary, preplexing and humorous at the same time. Humor long being a way to deal with adversity but in this case I was not clear at all. I certainly take immigration seriously, especially from countries with a history of terrorism and I rarely i ever engage in political discussion. My objection to calling Hillary Clinton a bitch had nothing to do with politics, I care not for her at all but I think no woman should be called that. That was misunderstood as well.

I love the forum but will refrain from any things remotely political and certainly not sully the reputation of the forum with ill conceived attempts at humor. I will leave that to quicker wits than myself !

i have not been here as often as of late for work reasons, this has been the busiest time of my life at 77 !!! Weird, but since I returned I seem to see more new members with good contributions. . One could conclude that is a result of my absence !!!! (Another joke ! ) Sorry......

My best regards to all here,

Gaines

19. OpanaPointer

Chaos booster: On 1 April swap the color schemes between the two forums.

von Poop likes this.
  20. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Hate to tell you this Gaines but there is ONE word worse than bitch. Trust me I have a Doctorate in cussing as a result of my misspent youth. I can use it with a fluency that approaches art, it flows with a naturalness and grace that would stun you. There is though one word I no longer use due to an interaction with my wife.
    We were going somewhere and she was driving, the traffic was very heavy. We were going along and a lady slightly ahead of us on our left was obviously distracted, talking, texting, I don't know what, maybe she had even had a few adult beverages. Anyway, she'd weave a little back and forth from riding the line on the left to riding the line on the right, she'd get really close to the car in front the suddenly realize and hit her brakes. We were approaching an intersection and were in the inboard lane. Suddenly she veers into our lane, no signal, no warning, missing the front of our car by a few millimeters, seemed like if either of us had an extra layer of paint, or if my wife had been a fraction of a second slower tapping her brakes, we would have collided. My wife normally a meek and non-confrontational person yells, "that bitch, she cut me off! Did you see that? She nearly hit us!" Me being the supportive type of husband that I am merely stated, "yeah I saw the silly c*nt, she's not paying attention." Quicker than my wife hit the brakes, she started hitting me, and saying "you don't ever, EVER, use that word." I suppressed laughter at my wife's feeble attempts to cause me bodily harm as she continued to pummel my arm. Then innocently, with an undertone of laughter, replied, "what word c*nt? Besides you called her a bitch." She renewed her assault on my arm, and yelled, "you never use the "C" word, it's the most disgusting word ever, don't ever say that word."
    At times I can be a relatively fast study, so I never use that word anymore. I do however, retain it in my arsenal, just in case the Thermonuclear option is ever called for.

As always, a pleasure to converse with you Gaines.