Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Gaming News

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by Otto, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

In this thread I'll post some interesting news and updates about WWII games and simulations. There are no strict guidelines here, basically whatever I feel is cool, I'll post.

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Return to Castle Wolfenstein Deathmatch for Dollars?

Synopsis:
    You Play Games is an online wager service where you can bet and earn money for each kill or injury to opponents. You can even cap how much money you can lose in a 24 hour period. The popular WWII First-person-shooter Return to Castle Wolfenstein is the first title. The press release can be found here. More info here too. And they said that spending days on end playing first person shooters wouldn't pay off...

====================================================

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030304/latu045_1.html

Press Release Source: YouPlayGames

YouPlayGames Signs Exclusive Deal With id Software and Even Balance, Inc. to Provide First-of-Its-Kind Multi-Player Online Gaming Service With Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Tuesday March 4, 6:01 am ET

CURACAO, Netherlands Antilles, March 4 /PRNewswire/ -- YouPlayGames today announced that it has signed an exclusive deal with id Software(TM) and Even Balance, Inc. to offer Return to Castle Wolfenstein(TM) as the premiere title available through the company's new skill-based online gaming service. YouPlayGames is pioneering the world of professional online gaming by bringing massively popular multi-player licensed titles into homes and providing everyone with the chance to make money while playing their favorite computer games.

Through the agreement, gamers at any skill level can play Return to Castle Wolfenstein and vie against each other over the Internet for the opportunity to win money and prizes. Participants who connect to YouPlayGames' servers to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein will be required to have the latest version of Even Balance's PunkBuster Anti-Cheat software on their systems in order to compete.

"We chose Return to Castle Wolfenstein as YouPlayGames' first title because of its amazing gameplay and immensely popular following. There are more than one million Return to Castle Wolfenstein players in the world, which provides YouPlayGames with an extensive fan base to launch its service," said Chris Grove, executive director, YouPlayGames. "Even Balance's PunkBuster software also helps to ensure an enjoyable, cheat-free gaming experience."

"Return to Castle Wolfenstein games are already intense, but with cash and prizes on the line over the YouPlayGames service, your next battle in the trenches will be more exhilarating than ever," said Todd Hollenshead, chief executive officer, id Software.

"Even Balance has been serving the online gaming community for years by fostering fun and fair competition," said Tony Ray, president, Even Balance, Inc. "YouPlayGames participants can rest assured that their opportunity to profit while playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein will be maximized due to the presence of our PunkBuster Anti-Cheat software."

Upon signing up for an account on YouPlayGames.com, players begin gameplay with a free life that is 100 percent intact. There is no entry fee to participate, but players who are fragged or who leave the game in a damaged condition are charged for the life at the game's life cost rate. Conversely, for each frag registered, players receive a percentage of the life's cost. Life cost rates will vary from game to game.

YouPlayGames plans to launch the service in late-March 2003.

====================================================

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/5423630.htm

Posted on Tue, Mar. 18, 2003

Service to offer cash, prizes for online gamers
    Associated Press

DALLAS - A new source of income - or debt - could soon be a mouse click away for PC gamers.

Players 18 years and older can win cash or prizes while playing against each other in the online World War II action game Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

It's part of a deal between YouPlayGames and two Texas companies - Even Balance, Inc. of Houston and Id Software, Inc. of Mesquite.

After registering with YouPlayGames, gamers can place their wager.

The cost of entry generally will range from a few cents to a few dollars for each kill or injury players incur on their opponents, YouPlayGames creator Chris Grove said Tuesday.

No money limits have been set, but that could change, Grove said.

Another feature will let gamers cap how much money they can lose in 24 hours.

"If two players want to play a game for $100 a life, then we'll open up a server for that," he said.

Grove said prizes eventually will include games, vacations and money.

YouPlayGames' system remains in beta-testing but should be released later this month.

Subscribers will have to connect to online matches hosted on YouPlayGame's servers, and for security reasons use Even Balance's Punkbuster anti-cheat software.

Negotiations are under way to bring the cash-for-kiling scheme to other games, and eventually, online consoles like Xbox and PlayStation2, Grove said.

YouPlayGames is headquartered on the Caribbean island of Curacoa in the Netherlands Antilles, just off the coast of Venezuela.

U.S. players in 11 states won't be able to wager any money due to laws against fee-based online gaming. The states are Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Nevada, Tennessee and Vermont.

-edit: some links fixed-

[ 07. June 2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Peppy ]

3. VYACHESLAV

VYACHESLAV Member

EA announced their new World War II project which would be called Rising Sun. This chapter would be set in Japan

4. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

Free WWII Game - RTCW: Enemy Territory Full Version Released

Following just a month after the test release, Enemy Territory has finally made a full version release! You can download the Linux and Windows versions for free, it does not require the retail Return to Castle Wolfenstein product in order to play.

Hats off to Id/Activision/SplashDamage for giving the us such an excellent 3d FPS, for FREE!

5. Leitung Panzer

Leitung Panzer Member

Nival interactive has announced a squeal to the awsome RTS game "Blitzkrieg" the new game will be "Blitzkrieg 2" and will feature a full 3D engine and players will now be able to control more planes, armor, and now ships, looks great.

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

7. Hokusai

Hokusai Member

8. Hokusai

Hokusai Member

DoD is currently at 1.3 worth a check out, new maps and error fixes. All well worth it!

Hokusai;}

9. Marshall

Marshall recruit

Hey Guys,

Just like let you all know that I am new to the fourms and reanacting. I thought that the ww2 gaming posts would be a good place to start.

Have any of you heard of the game known as Red Orchestra for the game Un Real Tourtoment 2004?
    Is it any good? Is it worth the money to go and buy Un Real Tourtoment 2004?

10. 5-0-duce

5-0-duce Member

ive heard that it by far beats DoD (day of defeat) or any other WWII mod for that matter im buyign unreal just for the Mod you have to use the sights on the rifles and there arent regular cross hairs on the screen i heard that it is by far the most realistic WWII game out there so when i get unreal ill let u know

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

12. Hokusai

Hokusai Member

Hello Gentlemen its been a while,

As follows are some sites with what I believe are some of the most interesting/enjoyable WW2 PC games or mods out there as well as a few currently in developement..

Red Orchestra Mod for UT2004
    http://redorchestramod.gameservers.net/

Heat of Battle Mod for COD
    http://www.heatofbattle.net

The Third Reich is looking promising..
    http://www.thethirdreich.com

Forgotten Hope Mod for BF1942=Awesome and my current favorite! Hopefully moving to BF2..
    http://forgottenhope.bf1942files.com

Heat of Battle MOD for COD..
    http://www.heatofbattle.net

Operation Greenlight soon to be beta testing..
    http://www.invasionworks.com

Anyone ever feel like playing at all give me a pm!

Always enjoy your forums here!

Regards,

Hok

13. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

15. PFC Wilks

PFC Wilks Member

whoa ll here plays Brothers in arms. its argueably the best WWII simulation ever. all the critics think so. rated 9 out of to with gameinformer and x-box mag. if anyone needs help with it, check my thred.

16. jpatterson

jpatterson Member

Anyone try the new MOH for PS2? Kai? Called European Assault.

Later

17. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx for the tip, jpatterson!

Not sure when it´s for sale over here but I´ll be checking the shops for it from now on!

18. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I got the European Assault on Ps2 now. Looks great but just started it. More later on.

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I got the European Assault on Ps2 now. Looks great but just started it. More later on.

20. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Oh yeah,

almost forgot. It´s great that even PS2 can make you feel like you´re in the middle of a great battle. One can only wonder what the next generation of gaming will be like!!

The European assault at first was a bit of a disappointment but the levels for Stalingrad ( even if only two ) and the Ardennes were great fun in my opinion.