Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Obituaries Forums Guidelines - (Read This First!)

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by Otto, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I thought it would be a good idea to start collecting the memories of the men and women who served in the Second World War in one single Forum. There are plenty floating around the Forum, and I'll move them into here as I find them.

Please use the following format when posting an obituary here:

1) Create a new thread for each person. Use the full name of the deceased in the thread title, followed by the nation and branch, followed by other info if any, each separated by semi-colons.

Some examples:
    2) Be sure to mention the original website and include a link to the original article, including the date of the article. Always include the author and the title of the article.

Example:
    3) Cut and paste the full article. I know this might raise some copyright issues, but in this case I don't care. Many publications delete this important data after a short period. In my opinion it is more important to honor and remember these people than be concerned with copyrights. This is the only time I condone copying information not produced here.

4) Leave the first post just for the article, save any comments in your next post. It is better to make a good complete post about a veteran, and then make a second, follow up post with personal comments. This is not a forum for idle banter, do not start up threads unless they are releveant, off-topic threads will be deleted or moved. Feel free to leave positive reputation for those members that contribute a thread to this Forum.

2. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Otto,

Are these only obituaries after this thread started, or can it also include obituaries from earlier times?

Thanks, Michelle

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Michelle I'm sure Otto would be happy to include older obituaries too.

4. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

How about personal stories from those who served say from other sites?

5. Otto

Michelle, any and all obituaries are welcome, the more info the better. Sloniksp, like I said, any and all obits are welcome here, just be sure to credit the source.

Thanks to all who are contributing to this section, each post is like a small tribute to the service of these noble souls. :mourn:

6. Otto

I'm bumping this thread as a reminder to highlight the first post. Remember to use the individual's name in the thread title, always cite your sources, and don't be afraid to cut and paste the entire obit into your posts. Some of these obits are taken offline quickly, in some case this is the only place their information will be available on the web.

7. kimfdim

kimfdim Member

This is sadly true.

I do have one question: Can one write the newspaper that the original obit appeared in to request a copy of the obit?

Lisa

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Yes, but it will be up to them as to whether or not they will send it. Your best bet if that fails is to go to the county where the newspaper was printed and asked to see the newspapers records. There is a good chance that they have old newspapers stored bound and stored somewhere, especially if it is a small or rural county.

9. Sid Vicious

Sid Vicious recruit

Hey guys-
    I ran across this thread: http://www.ww2f.com/roll-honor-memo...-rivers-died-friday-evening-jan-7-2011-a.html on a Google search. Joseph Shedivy is my roommate's grand father. He's the Shawn mentioned in the article and he's there with his daughter, Heaven in Two Rivers, Wi today at Jospeh's funeral.

I registered today, having never seen this site before, to ask if it's ok for family members to post on the threads you guys create for the Veteran's memorials? I think Shawn would like to tell stories about his grand father; he has a ton of them. He'll be back here in Arizona Friday evening and I'll show him the thread you guys have here.

You can shoot me an email either way at lorinlavelle(at)gmail.com.

This forum is a great thing. Keep up the good work.

10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. Rather than posting in the Obituary thread, why not have your roommate post up a new thread in the Genealogy section. It will get more views and comments there. We enjoy reading stories and information about any WW2 vets.

Enjoy your stay. Use the Search function to find threads on any topic you are interested in.

11. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Sid welcome to the forum.

12. CAW1

CAW1 Member

How about a MIA slot for all wars Otto? Bounce that around and tell me what you think. I got few guys coming up MIA and nothing on what finally became of them. Well documented ones like Lt Richard H Nelson, 1st Cavalry Div, 82nd FAB. He won the SS at Antipolo along with PFC Whittington. He and Whittington were 2 of only 4 given out to Artillery units at Antipolo. There were a total of 96 SS's given out at Antipolo. I really want to find this guy because he was probably PFC Whittington's CO. So far, he's MIA. He needs a slot. What do you think? The guy has to be dead or he'd be pushing a 100 years old by now.

13. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

I follow the Juno Centre on Facebook. They occasionally share the stories of Veterans who pass, but they are not official obituaries. I warm unable to find this same information on their website. May I copy the information here as long as I cite the Facebook page and date? Or does it just go under a memories thread. There was a very interesting one today that I would like to share with WW2F.