Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Service Records

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by ragnorak, May 26, 2008.

1. ragnorak

ragnorak Member

I was wondering how you go about getting WWII service records? I am doing a bit of research on men from my local area who served in WWII. I got their details from a plaque in a local church. All it gives is their name and which branch of the service they were in. I have no idea what units etc. they were in. They would all originally have been from Dunkineely, County Donegal, Ireland. Their names are:

Fred Dunbar Army
    Charles Henry served with US forces don't know which branch
    Charles Nesbitt Army
    Alan Walker RAF
    Tom McCullough RAF

The names listed below may have entered service after the war had ended or close to the end of the war and may not have been in combat roles.

Frank Boyd RAF I believe he was mechanic and was possibly posted to Egypt towards the end of the war.
    Herbert Coulter RAF
    William Crawford Army
    Albert Given RAF
    Roy Given RAF
    Samuel Given RAF
    Frederick Henry RAF
    Bob Long RAF
    John Mackey RAF
    Thomas McClintock RAF
    Robert Shaw Army.

The RAF seems to have been very popular with the men from that area. I have no idea if they all survived the war or not. I know that Frank Boyd did but he died several years ago. Any help or information would be much appreciated.

2. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

Unfortunately, Service Records are only released to those to whom they belong or their Next of Kin.

Steve W.

3. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

You might try PRONI and see if they will do a search for you. You could write the Imperial War Museum to see if they have records. Alternately you could look in the archives of any local papers to see if there was any write up on them both when they joined and during the war.

The Canadian Legion has a last post website, which often lists their units. Does the Royal Legion in Britain have anything similar where they may have listed out the names of those who died.

4. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Have you tried looking on www.cwgc.org it will narrow down if any of the above died as well as giving you in most cases regiment, sqdrn etc age, place of burial or comemeration, next of kin and address hope this helps.Jason

5. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

Used this superb tool. Entered the word 'donegal' in the first 'Including' field and found 89 records. None matches those on ragnorak's list.

Steve W.

6. ragnorak

ragnorak Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I take it WWII records are different to WWI records then? As far as I am aware anyone can get a copy of WWI service records. Checked the CWGC but didn't find anything.

7. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Generally, WWII records are still restricted if they have been dead under a certain time period (in Canada 20 years and usually a family member) or to the Veteran only or someone with their written permission if they are alive. Records for those who died in wartime service are available in the same way as World War I - at least in Canada. If you check your national archives it will probably explain the process for accessing military records.

8. sazrara

sazrara New Member

Hi I know this is a very old topic but I am the webmaster for Newchurch Village in Kent and we are currently developing our history site particularly with a view to the Advanced Landing Ground that was here during 1943 and 1944.

I am in contact with two veterans one of whom has mentioned Flg Off. Tom McCullogh. I have a group shot with Tom McCullogh in.it The veteran I am in contact with is Flt Lt. E Sparrow remembers that Tom McCullogh remained in the RAF for a period after the war as he visited stations where he was working on various occasions however they lost contact in 1948/1949. I have not heard anything about him since and do not know if he is still alive or not. If you have any information about Tom McCullogh I would love to hear from you - I can be contacted via the website http://newchurchvillage.org/contact/

http://newchurchvillage.org/history/newchurch-ww2/advanced-landing-ground/