Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII truck

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by Miran, Jun 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Miran

Miran recruit

Could someone tell me what's the type of WWII truck in this photo?

Is it a US or German or someone else's truck?

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      143.1 KB
      Views:
  2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

It's a German 'Einheits-Diesel' 6x6 I'd say.
    It was a standard 'universal' chassis design knocked up by the Hwa. & the German motor industry in the 30s, carried a variety of different bodywork (this one standard cargo by the look of it).

Looking in Vanderveen:
    Henschel & MAN did the bulk of the design work and built a great many, but they were also knocked out by Borgward, Bussing-NAG, Faun & Magirus (this one standard cargo by the looks of it).

Page of other pics:
    Oldtimer gallery. Trucks. Einheits-Diesel.

Looks like this one might be carrying Italians? Hard to say though.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Slipdigit likes this.
  3. Miran

Miran recruit

Thanks a bunch, Adam. Most appreciated.

It think it's definitely the one.

No, not Italians. Serbian Chetniks.

They were accompanied with some OSS personnel and the truck reminded me of US army trucks so I wasn't sure.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

LOL that was the only thing that I figured it wasn't.

36thva2 likes this.
  5. Miran

Miran recruit

Heh... What can I say, I'm clueless... :eek:

6. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

The German trucks usually had a more archaic, old-style frame than the American. This is in stark contrast with the shape of German tanks, armored personnel carriers,halftracks, etc. compared to Allied.

7. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Not really sure what you mean Wolfy?
    There were a great many 'modern' truck designs broadly analogous with allied types in the German arsenal, maybe not enough actual vehicles to meet demand once the Barbarossa sponge began soaking them up, but not really 'archaic'. Things like the Blitz, the 4500 series, LG3000, assorted German Fords, the big Fauns & Kaelbles etc. etc.

The allies themselves had a fair few older types pottering about. I wonder if the perception is from the dominance of pictures of Jimmys etc. in photographs, contrasted with the apparent photographic popularity of the oddball Krupp L2h143. Or maybe from the austerity bodies Germany was forced to use towards war's end, slab-sided things essentially made of card/fibreboard & wood.

~A

Wolfy likes this.
  8. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Some did, some didn't. The Opel Blitz was a decent looking unit, and a great many other German trucks were of "modern" appearance. Those which look "archaic" are generally of the higher weight, axle drive sizes. Those are "robust" and not built for "looks". In addition to that portion of the Old Timers Gallery von Poop posted, if you go to this portion you can "thumb through" the different nations trucks, and if there is a picture avaliable it will be highlighted in blue. Some great old trucks in there. The GMC CCKW was really a third generation truck, as was the Studebaker, the Dodge Power Wagon, and the IHC.

See:

Oldtimer gallery. Trucks. 1932-1945 (USSR makes till 1967).

That place is a treasure trove of information about WW2 trucks, cars, and other motorized wheeled and even a few half-track units.

jemimas_special2 and Wolfy like this.
  9. fast1

fast1 Member

thanks for the link, pretty interesting stuff there.[​IMG]

10. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Clint,

Good Morning... Great website. I found the next Studebaker I want to drive, tell me what you think :)

View attachment 6363

Attached Files:

11. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

That would be darned neat if you could find one of those old Studes, I have a friend in my old hometown who did what would be considered sacrilege today. When we were in HS he took an old Studebaker pickup (those that are so popular for customizing today), and cut it in half so the frame ended rigth behind the cab. Then he built another frame mounted on a swivel hinge from there back. With major springing it stayed level on level ground but had the ability to "swing down" as he crested a hill top. This worked fine for a while, but Pete wasn's satisfied so he built another set of axles behind the driven set, and coupled them with a pair of cut-out tractor tires so they were like rubber tracks.

This really made it a hill climber, but you had to take off the "tracks" to go much over ten miles an hour. But it still drove around like a pickup if the "tracks" weren't on it. Don't know what ever happened to that unit.

12. jemimas_special2

Would have enjoyed seeing a pic of that guy... especially from the way you describe it's character. Not to mention how much fun that would be to drive! My best friend and I were thinking of purchasing a Pinzgauer for camping and off road excursions. The trip, as well as the nostalgic experience would be pretty priceless. Here's a pic of it tearing it up off roading.

View attachment 6370

Looks fun huh!?

Attached Files:

13. texson66

texson66 Ace

I had one these I drove around ...on the kitchen floor when I was about four!

Attached Files:

14. jemimas_special2

texson,

I would have chosen that Stude over hot wheels any day :thumbup:

Mark

15. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Member

When I was in Colarado a few years ago, I was checking these out. Just noticed your Littleton address and that's where my buddy lives,too. Anyway we were in some mountain town and some garage was selling these. Looked like some qualtiy Swiss ORVs to me! I started wondering about parts and such and that seemed like a negative to me. Lack of an English repair manual didn't make me feel any better either. Lot of those being sold in CO these days? These kind of issues being addressed?