Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Willy's Jeep on her way soon to my home

Discussion in 'Military Vehicle Restoration' started by WARWAG, Sep 17, 2019.

1. WARWAG

WARWAG New Member

It was a restless night. Two weeks earlier we moved in to this house from across town. Very nice neighborhood. Deer in the yard at all times during the day. Javelina roaming around at night. Occasional Bobcat and "Other" critters to lurking around (all 4 legged). All that in the last too weeks. Beautiful area. But last night saw me up several times. Still getting use to the sounds of the house I guess. Sometime after 4am another barrage of thunder and lightening bombarded the house but this time a thunderous sound of heavy heavy rain came with it. Sometime after that I drifted off to sleep.

I awoke to the smell of cooking bacon and brewing coffee. I over slept but reminded my self I'm retired now. Still I like to get up early. The sun was out and pouring through are windows. The wife walks in with a cup of Joe for me. Its my favorite coffee. Black Rifle Coffee Company Silencer Smooth. Today is looking like it gonna be a great day.

Im working in my make shift "shop" on my wife birthday present when the phone rings. Its the guy I talk to last week about the WWII Jeep (at least it looked like its been through a war). Turns out it was indeed a WWII Jeep and they believe she is of 1942 Vintage (at least that is what his grandfather claimed before he passed away). He called to tell me he agreed to my price and I could come pick her up. A quick call to my friend with a WWII restored Jeep and he says I can use his trailer. We will load her up sometime next Tuesday night and she should be bedded down a few hours later. Now TODAY was indeed a great day.

Half Track likes this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

That's really great to hear...hope theirs a chance to find out her history...

WARWAG likes this.
  3. chibobber

chibobber Member

If you have not already,check out the "G503" web site,loads of great info there.

WARWAG likes this.
  4. WARWAG

WARWAG New Member

Thank you for all the comments. Love the G503 site. reading an article now on rebuilding the Dana 25 front axle.

5. WARWAG

WARWAG New Member

Last Tuesday was a busy day for me. After working on my friends house (he has her up for sale) I headed over to my buddies house who owns a beautiful GPW. I picked up his trailer and drove to the location of my new 1942 MB. I was planning on bringing the body but after looking at her and talking to the Grandson who inherited it I learned it was definitely not the original body. In fact It was a Ford body. Having been welded and repaired for and rusting for 70 plus years I decided to just leave it where she lay. Nothing on her was worth having. in fact not much on her but rusted metal and pipes someone welded on over and over again to keep the body from plopping around. I ended up with a Jeep rolling chassis with one fender and the grill plus the radiator shrouding and radiator. She has the Go Devil Engine, T-90 and Dana 18 Tase mounted on a T-84 crossmember with some hokey pieces added to it to drop it about 1.5" for the newer model T-90 trans. The tires are decent and will help roll her around. I have several photos and vids. Will post later. The frame is a total loss. When I sat total loss I am being very kind. She has been used and abused for to many years. The ONLY good thing on the original frame is the Machine Gun mount cross member. Real that's it. Its the only part that hasn't been welded on or cracked eat ect ect ect ect. I will put that on my new frame. I also came home with the original T-84 trans.. Thats pretty much it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  6. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Will you be swapping the T-90 for the T-84? A word of warning, from personal experience -- the T-84 is not a particularly robust or reliable transmission. I have a T-84 in my MB but in hindsight I may have been better off using a T-90.

7. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

That's great how is the restoration going how is the wiring, helped s friend retire a boat and car used 12 gauge stranded instead of 14 and 14 instead of 16&18. Reduces resistance and power drain. Were the old postal jeeps war surplus??