Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

XXIII Corps - US Army

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by ecaps, Aug 18, 2015.

1. ecaps

ecaps Member

Hi all....been a good while since I've signed on and perused the site.

Anywhoo, I'm back at it again researching relatives history and making a few more medal display cases - (grandfather and wife's grandfather). As is usually the case, once you begin digging into war history what you thought you knew isn't always true, leaves you with more questions and so the hunt begins. Things are no different this time around.

I wonder if any one can shed some light on a few things concerning my wife's grandfathers records. Once I get pix downloaded, I can upload them to this thread.

He has two enlistment and separation papers:
    1st - Co C. - 3rd Repl Bn - 1st Regt
    2nd - Co L - 16th Infantry Regt -1st Infantry Div

One was right after the other and being in a replacement battalion I understand that. What I don't understand is the final separation after seeing his uniform and wool winter coat.

Wool Winter Coat
    Patches/Pins: XXIII Corps patch (right shoulder), Berlin District patch(left shoulder), Berlin District label pins

Uniform:
    Patches/Pins: US 1st Infantry

What is/was the XXIII Corps? I can't find what Army group they were attached too. What little I can find says the XXIII acted as a police force, etc. Based on what I can tell from "his war trinkets" this seems to make sense to me and that most of his time was with the XXIII Corps.

Not sure how/why is final Army attachment was with the 1st ID. My initial thought is that at the end of the war he was "transferred" to 1st ID? The other thing is that his separation papers say his rank at separation was PFC not Corporal.

Thx,

X66 likes this.
  2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I don't know if you have seen this website yet, but it may be helpful in answering your question: Genesis of the United States Constabulary.

It mentions the XXIII Corps as part of the Fifteenth Army which:

At the bottom of the page, the 1st Infantry Division is listed as on of the service force units and was located in Regensburg, Germany. There is also a bibliography at the very bottom which may be useful.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

4. X66

X66 New Member

Hey man, I read your post and wanted to know what you all found out about the US Army XXIII Corps? I have a WWII US Army XXIII Corps Uniform that I'm trying to find out the identity of the man who it belonged to. He was a Tech 4 Sergeant, has ribbons/bars and a Good Conduct Medal, served in the European-African-Middle Eastern Theater and the Asiatic-Pacific Theater. I already found all the resources that was mentioned in your post but can't search through any records in the online national archives database without a name which is exactly what I'm trying to find out if there is any information about every man listed and who served in the XXIII Corps. I looked through their unit history, I've researched a lot about it on my own, but I still need to find the name of the man that his uniform has inspired and impacted me everyday so I know I want to remember and honor him for who he was in the most respectful way. I don't know if there is a way to find out his identity but I have to try the best I can. If you or anyone on here can help it would mean a lot. If your still looking for more information on the history of the XXIII Corps I can help you out with that too. I even found out the symbolic meaning of their unit patch insignia, and already traced the steps of their service from not only the European Theater but also found out some from the XXIII Corps were redeployed to the Pacific Theatre while others stayed back in Europe after the Germans Surrendered, that Corps was also attached to other units more then the Fifteenth Army as well. I have more information about this incredible and badass unit that I can share with you on the XXIII Corps at Camp Bowie and who their commanding unit leader was. However the one thing I really do need to find still is all about the man that I don't know who he is yet but have to find out because I greatly look up to the Americans that fought with true strength back then and see how much of their legacy all carries on today. Thanks man for your time, hope you or anyone here can help.