Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Your Favorite Brand

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by PanzerProfile, Apr 16, 2004.

1. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    How about a little discussion about the brands that make models? I already heard of Airfix and Tamya (I can only say I have very bad experiences with both).
    Here in holland we have several others: Hasagawa (japanese brand), Revell (German brand) Matchbox (cheap, sometimes good. Dunno where from) and so on.
    Any arguments?

2. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Matchbox is English, and out of production btw. Not the best, but better than most of the old Airfix kits.

Most Airfix kits are aged reissues and not worth wasting your money on, but they do have a few jewels as well. Their 1/48 scale Spitfire F.22/24, Seafire and both Lightnings ( not the P-38, but the post-war Mach 2 fighter ) are suberb kits.

Revell : You´ll never know what you get until you open the box. Sometimes it´s a great kit, some times it´s just crap. They do however, to my knowledge at least, have the best 1/72 scale Me 262 and the best 1/48 scale F-15E on the market.

Hasegawa : All their 1/48 scale kits are state of the art, but a lot of their 1/72 scale kits are aged and of low standard. But again, some of their 1/72 scale kits are jewels too; like their F4F Wildcat.

Tamiya : One of the best brands in my opinion. Their 1/72 scale aircraft are just awesome and their 1/48 scale aircraft are usually better than Hasegawas. But watch out for reboxed Italeri kits in the 1/72 scale range, and some of their older 1/48 scale kits. Their 1/35 scale armour kits are state of the art, except for a few of the really old ones.

Italeri : Same problem as with Revell; you´ll never know what you get until you open the box. But they do have a few decent kits.

3. Zhukov_2005

Zhukov_2005 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have only built Tamiya models so far, and am really impressed with the quality, although the price reflects it.

I recently bought a Dragon infantry set that came with 4 German soldiers with equipment dating from 1939 to 1945 including 3 kinds of Panzerfausts, several STG44, a Fallschirmjäger(sp?) 42, several G43, a MG42 and MG34, 4 MP40s, and some kar98s.

4. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    on armor I prefer italery or DML
    on planes, dependng what am I looking for, rare luft 46 special hobby or huma, but mainly revell and italeri

5. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Revell steals a lot. they use pretty much every Matchbox kit for their own diorama sets, and we have encountered some Hasegawa and Italeri kits in there too. But their T34/85 1:72 is superb, no other word for it.

Hasegawa models are often too nig for their scale, when compared to other models in the same scale. Their 1:72 kits are usually something in the area of 1:70. Great variety though.

Another good brand is the Belorussian company PST. They make very detailed kits of the heavier Russian tanks of WW2 in 1:72, plus numerous trucks, fire trucks and artillery/SP guns. 100% Soviet though, the only other thing I've ever seen of them is the Pz753(r): a KV1 in German service.

6. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    is the 231 six wheeled or 8 wheeled?

7. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I split the topic. But to answer your question; both a six-wheeled armoured car and an eight-wheeled armoured car were given the same designation. Confusing isn´t it ?

8. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    in deed it is

9. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Academy hasn´t been mentioned here. They have some aged kits as well, including Minicraft kits and reboxed Hobbycraft kits, but their newer kits are excellent. I have the 1/48 scale Hawker Hunter and MiG-21 which are both quite up to Tamiya/Hasegawa standard. I also have the M18 Hellcat tank destroyer, the M12 self propelled gun and the M3 Stuart, all in 1/35 scale, and they are all excellent kits. I have quite a few of their 1/72 scale aircraft as well, only Tamiyas 1/72 scale aircraft are better. Just.

10. SgtBob

SgtBob New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I've always felt Tamiya is consistently the best, if you have the money. Hasegawa comes in second although they're hard to find in my area. I like Dragon too, usually a better price than the other two.

11. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I tend to do the macho thing, and buy Airfix or Matchbox models.

1) cheaper
    2) 'worse' kits are harder to make a decent model from. If I can get a good-looking product from a clunky kit, I can kid myself as to how good I am!
    :roll:

12. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    Tamiya all the way...

Christian

13. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    This is certainly so. Another thing is that fouling it up will have wasted very little of your money. For the price of a 'good' brand kit, you can buy two or more Airfix or Matchbox kits and completely ruin one, meanwhile gaining experience for exelling on number two.

14. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    And spending four times a long time in the process :D

15. SgtBob

SgtBob New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Oh yes, never use a Tamiya kit when first starting to model. That's like trying to learn how to shoot with a .44 magnum!

16. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hey about the Academy models; I only have a couple of small scaled models of this brand, they date back to the time I was a 100% amateur on modelling. They are a B17 Flying Fortress and a B?? Liberator, both on 1/144 scale. I did not know they built ground units as well! Nice surprise. Problem is, though, that I believe to be sure there's no Academy kit being sold in my entire environment.

17. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Oh, I don´t know about that. :wink: I have allways had the feeling that if you shake a Tamiya box lightly for a minute or two, the model will come out of the box finished. Those Tamiya kits practically build themselves.

I´m with Ricky on this one. Old Airfix or, even better, something Russian gives you more of the feeling that you´ve actually achieved something.

18. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Oh, I made a Tamiya 1:32 German 20mm AA gun once.
    Ohhhhh, it was perfection in kit form...
    Just a slight raised mould line (or 'flash') to file off, and it was done. Everything fitted beautifully. No filler putty / TippEx needed.
    The only change I made was to add a bit of clear plastic into the sights, to stop it just being an empty tube.

Lovely to make, but not quite the feelng of satisfaction when you've finished.

It's just too easy!
    :smok:

19. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    You should try the Russian brand A-Model. I used a quarter of a tube of putty on a 1/72 scale MiG-9 I built, and I had to sand off so much flash and excessive plastic from the parts ( on some parts I had to cut it off in big chunks ) that it feels like I´ve built them from scratch myself.

It even turned out as a half-decent model as well.

20. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have an Il-2 kit from them that I haven't quite had the courage to start yet...