Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Your favorite Modern tank

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by KBO, Nov 21, 2004.

1. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What would be your favorite modern tank, and why ?? :smok:

2. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Leopard 2A6, because it's the best one around, and the Dutch have them! ;)

3. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Member

via TanksinWW2
    The merkava mk4 with the T90 and the Leclerc as close seconds.

4. hoffe_sweden

hoffe_sweden New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My favourite tank is the swedish strv 122 why ??? because im from sweden and its the nicest tank inte the world :D :D

strv122 :kill: abrams :D :D

5. Castelot

Castelot New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My favourit is the T90, and generally all it's ancestors(T55, T62, T64, T72, T80).
    I just like their looks.

6. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Here's the two best tanks in the world today, in my opinion:

1: Leopard 2A6 / Reason: It carries all the advanced computer-hardware of the M1A2 Abrams, plus some extra, and it also carries the most powerfull tankgun on any MBT today, AKA the "120mm L/55" provided by Rheinmetall. It also has the most accurate gunsights in the world today. And last but not least, it is one of the fastest MBT's in the world today ;)

2: MK2 Leclerc MBT / Reason: It carries maby the most sophisticated computer hardware of any MBT in the world today, and its main gun is equipped with an auto-loader. It also has a very good main gun AKA the "120mm L/52" gun with the same armor penetration caracteristics of the 120mm L/44 gun on the M1A2 Abrams, wich is btw made by Rheinmetall.

KBO

7. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    You do seem to be a fan of German guns ;)

I like the Challenger 2 best.
    Frankly, all the other tanks seem to have turrets of poor ballistic shape.
    Leclerc & Abrams turret armour is far too horizontal for my liking, plus the Abrams does have that ugly 'shot trap' around the barrel.
    The Leopard 2A6 (and the latest Merkerva) has a fantastic shot-trap of a turret - if you shoot at the turret your shot will either be deflected straight up, or straight down. Straight up is very good. Straight down is very bad.

My big problem with the Challenger 2 is the horrible box of a gun-barrel reference system.

With regards to electronics etc, I will admit that the Chally is probably behind nowadays. However, I have heard it said that if a tank recieves a hit that is hard enough (but not a killing hit!) then it effectively puts their electronics out of action.

8. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Aaarh i dont think thats true, as then it would be to much danger to have computer's on tanks.. Anyway the new computer also sees to that its the tank carrying it that shoots the first shot.. ;)

9. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well they made the best in WW2, and they make the best today.. and i admire that ;)

KBO

10. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hell, the mg42 is still used today!

11. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, I think the best looking turret belongs to the Russian Black Eagle.

12. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Member

via TanksinWW2
    Black eagle? Never heard of it :oops:

What tank designation is it of? (ie T72, T80 etc).

13. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
  14. Wspauldo12

Wspauldo12 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My favorite modern tanks are

1. The M1 Abrams. I like American stuff. It has wicked good armor. The think is unstoppable in combat, its turret looks cool with the slopping sides, and it blew the crap out of the t-72s in the 1st gulf war. They just stood off at range and let the Iraqis have it! :bang: :bang: :bang:!

2. The Challanger 2. I am a real fan of British stuff. The Challanger looks cool, it is a real good peice of work, and the british are America's staunchest ally.

At a very close 3. The Leapord 2A5. The turret on that is the meanest thing I have ever seen (but it would make one heck of a shot trap if hit under it). The Leapord is also a cool name, and I am a fan of German stuff because they had great stuff in WWII.

I am very biased for lots of different reasons. I also like that each tanks has almost the same gun. The Abrams and Leapord 2A5 both use the same German made 120mm gun if I am correct.

15. Jeffrey phpbb3

Jeffrey phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Favorite: The Spanish Leopard2a6, it has anything that the Swedisch STRV-122 has + the L55 gun barrel :eek: :smok:

About that shottrap, i've done some questioning around and it appears that when a tankroud hits the frontal v-shaped armor it will go right trough it, but the round exploded right on the v-shaped armor, so all the burning metal and things like that are smashed against the old Leopard2a4 armor behind the v-shaped add-on armor, wich is hollow btw...

It also has a skirt around the turret so the grenade won't get in between the hull and the turret...

So it is very unlikely that the grenade goes down on the turret...

The person who told me this works with Leopard2a6 tanks at the MCW (mechanische centrale werkplaats) for the Dutchies over here.

But i'm not sure what to think of it, i really don't trst this hollow v-shaped armor :-? but i'm sure the Germans know what they are doing

Still i love to see a Leopard3 with the same armor-shape as the Challenger 2, with angled sidearmor though...

16. PanzerMeister

PanzerMeister New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My favourites:

1. T-90. OK armor with dynamic protection. Good gun(able to penetrate any MBTs of the world). Small size (easy to make ambush and harder to hit). Active and passive protection systems(Shtora and Arena). Multi-fuel engine. OK weight.

2. Merkave Mk IV. Superb frontal protection in the hull. Good gun. AFV and MBT at the same time. Superb city fighting capabilities(mortar, cameras etc.)

3. Type 90. OK armor and gun. Hydro-pneumatic suspension. Very high order of electronics.

17. Jeffrey phpbb3

Jeffrey phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What are we doing?

IMHO this topic is somewhat going towards a ''happy children'' or ''best tank'' topic, for example, we don't know if the T-90's gun is able to penetrate any MBT in the world, because i was told that it couldn't, but thats just (how do you say that?) guessing (right?), we don't really know if its so powerfull, even the designers don't know if it can penetrate any mbt in the world, so lets just keep it your favorite mbt topic, not the ''bes tank'' topic :D

18. PanzerMeister

PanzerMeister New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Sorry, Jeffrey. Should have said: I guess it can penetrate every MBT in the world.

19. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My favorites are the M60A3 and M551.

20. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The T-90's gun is nothing compared to the Rheinmetall 120mm L/44 or L/55 gun of the Leopard and Abrams.

KBO