Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Your favourite WWII book

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Weisenwolf, Feb 6, 2008.

1. STURMTRUPPEN

STURMTRUPPEN Member

my favourite ww2 books are
    d-day by stephen ambrose
    pegasus bridge by stephen ambrose
    nine lives by air commodore alan deere
    the dambusters by paul brickhill
    reach for the sky by paul brickhill
    italian odyssey by matthew wright
    desert duel by matthew wright

2. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

I just finished reading this and have to say it was a tremendous read.
    The last 2/3's of the book was about items I had at least heard about. But the details, background information and personal stories he provided were just fascinating.
    But every bit of the first 1/3 of the book was totally new to me. Just riveting stuff. Very well written.

I agree it is too bad he did not wait for a year or two for the next Official Secrecy Act release... but it was a fun IQ test stuff to see if I could catch any or all as I read through.

I have to again mention my all time favorite: "A Thousand Shall Fall" by Murray Peden. One of the all time best.
    http://www.ww2f.com/wwii-books-publ...en-perhaps-best-bomber-command-book-ever.html

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Once An Eagle by Anton Meyer

Of all the books I've read over the years this one, although fiction, holds something special. It goes to the Core Values of what the Military is and should be. I found out after reading the book I'm in good company. From a Amazon review;

"The book appears on the Commandant's required reading list for all First Lieutenants in the United States Marine Corps, and frequently serves as a text for Cadets in leadership classes at West Point. Covers the young Sam Damon's years in Nebraska, including his decision to enlist in the Army after being put on a wait list for West Point."

One of the few books I finished within two or three days. Couple of late nights but well worth the time.

4. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

My old favorite was Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, my new favorite is Unbroken by Hildenbrant. Its one of those books you read cover to cover.

5. Ardent Escaper

Ardent Escaper Member

I have two:

1) 'Moonless Night' by B.A. 'Jimmy' James - The autobiography of probably the greatest escaper of WW2. One of the "lucky 23" from the Great Escape not to be murdered by the Nazis, Jimmy was sent to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, and he escaped from there!!!

2) 'A Thousand Shall Fall' by Murray Peden, a Canadian Stirling pilot. His memoirs will make you laugh and cry, and help you to understand life in Bomber Command, the Allied unit with the highest losses in the war. Every mission, roughly 5-10% of your squadron mates did not come home. Do the math.

Marc

6. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

To Lose a Battle. Alistair Horne... Dated but worth a look.

7. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

8. Chrisdm4

Chrisdm4 Member

I cannot pick just one. My all time has to be With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. I am going to read it agian when I am done Islands of the Damned. Second I would pick One Square Mile of Hell by John Wukovits. You do not hear much about Tarawa but this book takes you there as if you were there! Third would be If you Survive by George Wilson. This is just a great memoir of a officer in WW2! Those would have to be my favourite books from WW2.

9. Melkc

Melkc Member

Wow, it's difficult to choose just one.

A few favorites:

History of the German Resistance, 1933-1945 by Peter Hoffmann
    War Without Garlands-Operation Barbarossa 1941/42 by Robert Kershaw
    Black Edelweiss by Johann Voss
    The Last of the Tin Can Sailors by James Hornfischer

10. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

For sheer laughs, and a more than honest account, one cannot go past any one of Terrence Alan 'Spike' Milligans war diaries, ("Adolf Hitler-My Part in His Downfall et al). Although 'jazzed up', as one poster here so delightfully put it, it is a more than accurate representation of the ordinary British soldier. Some examples....

"We passed a group of German captives, looking dusty and lost. They get the usual treatment from our boys, nazi salutes with rassberries, cries of "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Arshole!". It amazes me. Had we, ordinary layabouts, defeated the formidable German Army?..."

"Devine and co decide, out of sheer boredom, to climb to the top of the old Roman aquaduct we can see from camp. Devine gets a little hot and removes his trousers. Gunner White follows him from below. The view upward must have been something to behold.
    "Hey, Devine! You've got a mole on your balls!"
    "A sign of beauty...."
    "It IS a beauty!"

"A party of the boys decide, on the spur of the moment to go hunting. They take along Abdul, a local to guide them. Midnight arrives, and the party find themselves up a tree, with Abdul assuring them "Something will come along soon...." One O'clock arrives, and still no kills. Abdul lets out a terrifying Arab fart. "Christ!", says 'Jordy Liddel, "No wonder the Crusaders retreated!"....

11. Drew Childers

Drew Childers Member

I also really enjoyed 'Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" and was thinking only a couple of days ago I should re-read it. Based on Krystal80's recommendation and having enjoyed Hildenbrand's "Seabiscuit", I'll have to look for "Unbroken".

I don't think I can narrow it to just one though; a few others that I enjoyed and come immediately to mind include: Thomas J. Cutler's "The Battle of Leyte Gulf", Tom Brokaw's "The Greatest Generation", Frederick Taylor's "Dresden" and Hampton Side's "Ghost Soldiers".