Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Your most WW2 amazing game experience ever?

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by Wolfy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

I'm not a gamer, and have not played any game save Blitzkrieg Anthology since the first Call of Duty. But I have two game experiences that have cemented themselves into my memory, as they were "one man vs. the mob" sort of deal..actions that would have earned me an Iron Cross 1st class in WW2.

There was a COD mod called the German Front Mod that was popular for a time. It appealed to WW2 buffs and had more realistic firing characteristics for weapons and unit organization. The Maps were very well designed and some were based off of Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan.

Experience 1: Ramelle Bridge (the level was a copy of the bridge from the end of SPR). It was a map where the two opposing forces fought across two bridges spanning a small river.

I terrorized the entire opposing team with a single MG34 firing from a moderate sized hole in wall from maybe 300-400 meters away. I set up the gun in an angle and repeatedly repositioned myself so I covered 90-120 degrees of fire but I always had pieces of the rubble and the wall protecting me from one flank while I focused on the kill zone.

No one dared to cross either of the two bridges and the entire opposing team was essentially pinned down by my accurate, short bursts for almost half an hour. 2 of the players repeatedly tried to set up US 1919 30 caliber machineguns in houses and rubble just across the river and fired long bursts towards my position, but I repeatedly killed them first with fast, short bursts.

With maybe ~600 or more rounds of ammunition (some picked off of two dead guys that try to fire alongside with me, but failed to properly use the cover) I gunned down 20 of the opposing players with short MG34 bursts from long range, where they were merely specs from my position.

Eventually, I finally missed one guy who crossed one of the bridges and ended up being shot in the back..

20 kills in a row..

The bridge
    [​IMG]

Experience 2: Churchtower

This was a more short lived experience (I survived for only 15 minutes), but still thrilling as I only had a K98 rifle, 65 rounds, 2 stick hand grenades, and a luger pistol with 2 magazines.

From my position, I overlooked the entire opposing team and was technically a very easy target. It also didn't help that all the opposing players were running towards my position and could attack me from their spawn point.

After I downed my 4th player with the K98 by essentially snap shooting and leaning in and out of cover, the entire opposing team went berserk and sprayed the bell tower with 1919 30 cal. machinguns, sniper, M1 thompson, and M1 fire.

Three opposing players with BARs and thompsons manevered into the church and trapped me in the tower. I threw two hand grenades down from the tower and shoot one of guys trying to climb up before he could hit me with the butt of his rifle.

With a corpse on the bottom of the ladder, the other two guys were hesitant to advance so they started to throw handgrenades at me in a few failed attempts to lob one up into the tower.

Now paranoid, I alternated between firing aimed shots at the mob outside and checking the ladder for any boarders with the 8 shots left in my lugar.

I traded fire from my position and shot down four more players. I unloaded my lugar at my final victim (who tried to climb up the ladder).

I was finally too distracted by the enemies outside that a final boarder managed to sneak up behind me and spray me with his thompson....

10 kills in a row..

2. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

well, i have played too many ww2 games to count, and had way too many crazy experiences.

Here's one for Battlefield 1942. The mod is Forgotten Hope 2, which greatly increases realism not gaming-wise, but equipment and weapon-wise.

In the map Battle of El Alamein, I climbed in a Ju87 with another player as gunner. As it turns out, I was very lucky. This guy was an ace gunner. Anyway, I do my usual terrorizing from the air, bombing tanks accurately, then returning to the airfield to rearm. My tail gunner proved his worth by taking down two fighters, and helping to take down another three fighters, of which I destroyed two personally, and an allied Me109 took out the other.

After about 24 kills from the air, me and my copilot finally meet my match in the air. A Hawker Hurricane takes off from the airfield, riddled with my bullet holes, but this pilot still outmaneuvers me and shoots me to pieces.

So, I eject. My gunner, devoted to the last, goes down with the plane (I forgot to tell him I was leaving) I parachute smoothly down...right into the Allied base. I come upon two enemies, apparently trying to decide who would get the last Spitfire on the tarmac. I solved the problem for them. A Luger shot in the back for each, and I take the Spitfire. Off to another reign of terror. Final score: 43 kills.

Here's another anecdote, this time, from Company of Heroes. Me and a random guy against two of my friends, on a map called Lyon. This map gives one side two bridges. Me and my team mate, playing the Germans, quickly capture the important points early on, giving us an advantage. All enemy attempts to attack are thrown back. It seems as if we are only playing one player.

I am detailed to control the points that we have. My ally then takes his three Panthers, and crosses one bridge. Encountering heavy resistance, he requests support. I bring in my Tiger with some stormtroopers, and we eliminate one player. Moving on to his team mate, our four tanks are suddenly knocked out by intense AT fire.

We scratch our heads, and then try again. At least five seventeen-pounder AT guns wreak havoc on our armor. So, we try the bridge. One Panther makes it across, but, after that, the bridge explodes into smithereens, taking a StuG and a Panzer IV down with it. The Panther is easily taken care of by the AT guns.

Now, to make matters worse, the enemy finally unleashes his artillery. I had established many forward positions to assist for defense. A seemingly unending barrage destroys most of these positions. Now expecting a major attack, we wait. After about 5 minutes, we have had no attack. In we go again. Same results. For forty minutes, we try to break these defenses, using Nebelwerfers, armored support, even an all infantry attack, and sniper probes, and yet, at the end of a three hour game, we have still not eliminated this player. We give up.

Later I ask my friend, and I found out his strategy. While his ally continuously went on the attack, he built a huge defense. After his ally lost, the lack of territories did not allow him any more population cap, so he was stuck with the forces he had: 6 AT guns, 3 Bofors AA guns, 3 Vickers MG emplacements, 1 25 pdr Howitzer, 1 M7 Priest, and 1 precious team of Sappers.

Wolfy likes this.
  3. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Thanks for sharing.

Haha, he deserves a Victoria's Cross for that..

I love these 1 man vs. the mob sort of scenarios. I should have died so many times, but I didn't.

I later checked that bridge area (from the enemy's point of view) and though it was an exposed position, a properly positioned and repositioned machinegun would only expose the barrel and a third of the gunner's head from various angles.

So it would take a very steady and difficult sniper's shot to take me out or a very lucky short burst from a 1919 30 cal. mg. Thankfully, the mod used more realistic weapons distribution so one side would not have more than 1 sniper rifle or light machine gun between every 4-5 players in most scenarios.

The opposition repeatedly tried to foil my position- to cover their advance liberally with smoke, etc. or crawl from a corner or behind some rubble for some aimed rifle fire but nothing worked. As soon as they opened up from a hidden position, I zeroed my MG on them and they just couldn't match it. What saved my life repeatedly was the use of very short and steady bursts against stationary targets shooting aimed shots not over- maybe 4-6 rounds. Any more than that would have thrown off my aim too much in the game and expended much of my limited ammunition. Against runners I fired more liberally.

What was also thrilling about it was that during the entire game, friendly troops were free to rush across the bridge thanks to my position and were able to attack them closer to their spawn point ..

4. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

in a mod adjusted for realism, that really is pretty impressive.

Again, in FH2, there is a map for Omaha Beach. Overlooking the beach are multiple machine gun positions. As an infantryman, I landed in an LVT. The usual is to quickly advance and take out the positions. The danger to me is the Pak 40 also overlooking the area. So I take off in the other direction, to a group of houses. Inside the houses, I find a sniper kit. Wonderful.

Here, I look outside, and I can see at least 6 players approaching my house. Keep in mind that these are other human players, and I am not a spectacular infantryman in this game. So I decide to head to my LVT. Using the Ma Deuce, I gun down two infantrymen, then take off back towards the beach with my new kit.

At this point, my LVT takes a AT round in the front, damaging it heavily, but not killing it. Ditching the LVT, I take cover behind a large rock structure, with a small hole in the bottom. Through the hole, I can cover one of the most important MG positions. A well-placed shot to the head takes care of the gunner. Within seconds, another takes his place. Another shot and another kill. The rock structure effectively conceals me and my muzzle flash, so the gunners are unaware of their impending doom.

I sat there until I ran out of ammo. Every shot was a headshot. After I ran out of ammo, I stormed the cliffs with my pistol. I picked up a Thompson kit, and stormed the bunker. I killed one enemy, but, upon rounding a corner, met the barrel of an MP40.

I do not know my exact score, but I can guess. A sniper kit carries 25 shots. Add the two from the LVT and the one from the Thompson. Final Score: 28

5. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

"Here's one for Battlefield 1942. The mod is Forgotten Hope 2, which greatly increases realism not gaming-wise, but equipment and weapon-wise."

Isn't Forgotten Hope 2 for Battlefield 2?

This is a game mod that I never really got into, but seemed pretty interesting.

6. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Original COD, i remember the map but not its name. I was in an upstart clan and we had challenged a more established clan to a match. They were talking smack about us etc and expected an easy win. We ended up beating them (badly) and they tried to pass it off as not trying. Anyways, my highlight (it was only 5 v 5) was pretty awesome.

We played Rifles Only (Bolt Actions) no other weapons apart from nades. One by one, my team mates are killed, until its me vs 5 of them. It was intense, creeping around trying to survive. I shot one, then another, and another. I ended up winning by bashing the last guy at close quarters as we surprised each other.

I can think of other moments during TDM where I was a sniper, with multi-kills (including tanks) before running out of ammo and getting shot while looking for another gun.

Wolfy likes this.
  7. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

There was another great game experience- a glitch occurred on the German front mod for COD and I ended up being invisible the entire game. I was completely invisible except for the fact that one could see my muzzle flashes when i opened fire. I ran around shooting people in the back for the entire game and got 70 + kills while I was being accused of being a hacker.

so entertaining..

I later figured out that the glitch was caused by repeatedly pressing the enter key during the game load....

8. Joe

Joe Ace

(Not WW2, sorry. Does WW3 count though)

From World in Conflict;

If my memory serves me correctly I was on the Russian team on the "Highway" map, the Tug-of-war map with a big road in the middle.
    Anyway, starting as an armour player, I captured 2 points on the road only to discover that we only had one air player and one support player, the rest of the team going for armour.
    Obviously, American attack helicopters smashed us to pieces.
    A foray into the field of Helicopters did not work out well for me either, as I am not very experienced as air I was on the receiving end of an anti-air strike.
    So I had a look at the map. It turned out that the points on the frontline was now getting closer to our side of the map, all the way and we would be defeated.
    But now, most of the points where surrounded by clumps of trees. So I spawned as Infantry. I dropped in two anti-tank squads, two regular infantry squads and a sniper team. I hid my sniper in some trees to overlook the point, and he started firing at some American infantry approaching it. Meanwhile, the rest of my men had just taken up position in the trees next to the point. After a short gun battle, the American infantry was defeated.
    As I was about to move and capture the point, I had to quickly get back into the trees as American helicopters flew overhead. This is when I found out that regular infantry squads carry an anti-air missile launcher, so two American choppers where downed.
    I sent all my men to capture the point, and after doing so I left an anti-tank squad to guard it.
    My allies had managed to wrest control over the other points on the frontline, so the line moved back to it's original position.
    We went on the defensive.
    In the two points closest to the left side of the map, I had an anti-tank squad and a regular squad guarding them. My sniper was long dead, a victim of a napalm strike.
    A few US Heavy tanks tried to take over a point, but my AT-rockets made short work of them.
    For the rest of the game, it was a stalemate. So the game ended in a draw, but it wasn't half fun!

9. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

Another favorite experience of mine was the final German level in Blitzkrieg. The final "king Tigers" level was great, too. They were great levels, both desperate missions against enormous Allied superiority.

Experience 1: Ardennes offensive. Mission involved conquering all US held ground and defending against US tank and infantry counterattacks. US forces have overwhelming air and artillery supremacy. This mission required a series of well planned and fast attacks with armor, artillery, and infantry.

Assets from memory (roughly 1 overstrength company): 250 or so Panzergrenadiers armed with STG, half a dozen halftracks, 8 or so Panther tanks, 2 or 3 Flakpanzer Wirbelwinds, 3-4 Mark III/IV's, 3-4 Jadpanzer Hetzers, and 8 or so Flak 88 guns. 6 150mm artillery guns, 2 150 mm self-propelled artillery. a few kubelwagons. 1 Panzer Maus. A few 75mm L48 A/T guns. A dozen heavy trucks. A few pieces of rocket artillery

Support: Very little: Scout planes, a single transport plane dropping 4 Fallschirmjager sections, and barely effectual ME-262s.

US forces battalion strength: Defenders: Maybe 600-700 US infantrymen, 60 US Shermans/M-36 Tank destroyers, 20 artillery pieces

US support: 8 B-17 bombers, 8 P-47 fighter bombers, 8-P51s, 4 C-47s.

Experience 2: Defend the edge of the city against enormous Soviet Armored thusts with the skillful use of veteran Tiger II's in the fire brigade role. Counterattack the Soviets.

This mission required moving the Tiger II's from place to place and exposing only their front armor to the enemy to engage enemy tank formations at long range and reinforcing damaged German defenses with reserves.

Soviets have enormous tank and infantry supremacy. Artillery preparation is very formidable, but less so compared to the US game.

German (1 overstrength company): 6 Tiger IIs, 200 Panzergrenadiers, 8 Flak 88mm guns, 2-3 Flakpanzer wirbelwinds, 4 Panther tanks. 4 Panzer Mark IV L48 10 or so heavy trucks, a few halftracks. 6 150mm artillery pieces and 2 150mm hummell. A few 75mm L48 AT guns. A few pieces of rocket artillery

Soviet attackers (2 battalions in strength): 70-80 tanks (T-34-85 and JS-2), 800-900 Red army infantry, 20 artillery/anti-air pieces, a dozen Kat rocket projectors, 2 dozen A/T guns.

10. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

oops yea lol...i meant forgotten hope 1. FH2 is not through yet, only North Africa has been released

11. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

LOL WiC is meant for crazy and complete ACTION!!
    I remember way too many instances to hold your attention span. I remember, once, on a map called Radar, where the map essentially all comes together on a hill, where a lot of the battle is fought, we had an exceptional support player.

He shared a plan with us. We sent him all of our tactical points, therefore, we lost ground, but, all part of his plan. In five minutes, we pooled all of our forces in one place far behind the lines, waiting for the chance. Infantry was loaded into many helicopters, and the armor players were tasked with holding the line. Only five minutes into the round, the other team did not see what was coming.

First step: A nuke on the hill. Most of the enemies were caught there after a small air push by the only player with attack helicopters. Whatever left was easily swept aside by one player with heavy tanks. Then, instead of pushing...we stopped. The enemy forces, now recovered, could be seen regrouping.

As scout helicopters overflew the Soviet positions, the support player used the rest of his tactical points in a final strike. Two consecutive carpet bomb runs. After this devastation, the Blackhawks swooped in with the infantry squads and deployed one squad at each point. Only the last point had any defenders, and the quick light armor support took care of that. We had almost no losses besides the ones from the beginning.

12. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim Ace

My best World War Two gaming experience was not in a one-off battle, but over the course of several months when I played through the entire war on the eastern front as a german pilot in the original IL-Sturmovik.

I remember playing in the middle of the night during a christmas break from school (where it was well below freezing and the ground was covered with snow) flying missions during the winter of 1941-42 at the gates of moscow, tangling with Russian Yaks and Migs in the twilight over snow covered wastes and bombed out villages.

I finished the war with 140 kills, the last mission over Berlin in April 1945 was also particularly memorable.

13. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

Another FH air rampage, but with a twist:

I am playing Invasion of the Philippines, an island map linked by shallow waters, PT boats, and LCVPs. The Japanese have a destroyer, where they begin their conquest. I luckily get my piloting hands on a torpedo-equipped Dauntless. Up in the air, I start terrorizing the landing force steaming towards the first beach. After scoring a direct hit, and many strafing kills, I encounter heavy AA from the destroyer, which someone finally started to man. I bug out for a while, then return, this time targeting the machine gun mounts on the destroyer, killing many gunners. However, I am now running low on ammo.

I head back to the airfield, only to find...it is in Japanese hands. Now low on ammo and low of spirit, I half-heartedly strike at the Japanese, who are already all over the islands, except for the main one, which only has one heavily defended approach. However, by now the Japanese have PT boats all over the waters, and the hail of AA fire is too much for me. As I am going down, I can visibly see my teamates falling back from the beach. So I turn my nose down, hit eject, and watch my Dauntless careen into a group of enemies.

Once on the ground, I equip myself with a Japanese Arisaka, and hide in the shallows. I start picking off the Japanese, who have no idea where the fire is coming from. Eventually, they notice me, and I start to draw fire. Some idiot teamate of mine sees all the commotion, and decides to turn his thirty-cal on me, too. I am effectively pinned down.

One Jap ventures around a piece of the shore, and I have an intense close combat. We are having it out with our knives, but both of us are dodging well. Once, I miss, and I lose sight of him. Uh-oh. Lucky for me, his teamate comes around with his SMG, and panics to see me. In the resulting spray of bullets, my adversary goes down, while I only take one hit. My Colt comes out, and a bullet is placed perfectly into the SMG gunner's groin. Another in his ear is the final word.

Now running low on ammo, I grab his SMG. Venturing a look around the shore, I see that the Japanese have already advanced. I am left behind. However, something catches my eye. A PT boat, beached, but with a working machine gun. Down the road, I can still see the column of Japanese men. I clamber on to the mount, and spray away down the road. From my position, I not only clear the island, but fend off another wave of attacks. I am finally killed when the destroyer rounds the corner, and places a shell directly onto the boat.

Final Score: 97 kills.

14. Heidi

Heidi Dishonorably Discharged

I have played Dog fights,but it's actually a ww1 game.
    It is difficult because like flying in real life,in the game the planes stalls once you hit a certain height. You have to stay below that height and try to remover around clouds and find you're emeny,before they finfd you. I did not do too well.

15. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

My best by far was in COD:WaW on Castle. I was climbing up the ladder into the rubble laden sniper area and when I got up I turned right to watch the corner, but upon arriving I seen a muzzle flash and was tabun gassed'. Luckily I had my flamthrower out at the time so I let it rip back and forth. I proceeded to kill 6/8 of the enemy team members.