Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Your opinions please on the movies......

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by C.Evans, Sep 23, 2002.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

"The Eagle Has Landed" and "Escape To Athena".

Im in the slow process of watching "The Eagle Has Landed" and im not very impressed soo far. I mean come on--DONALD PLEASANCE as Der Reichsfuhrer hinself--Heinrich Himmler!!! THATS A laugh.

Also Robert Duval as a Gebirgsjager Oberst--with a loust German accent--another hoot!

Now I must admit that Donald Southerland does a great job in playing the Irishman, as well as Anthony Quayle does a great job in portraying a Kriegsmarine Admiral--he even has the correct U boat War Badge--A ww1 U boat badge. Michael Caine is doing a good job as a Gebirgsjager Major--or Oberst.

-------------------------------------------------

I have'nt seen "Escape To Athena" yet.

2. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Hallo, Carl! Excuse my lack of ignorance, but are those films in the cinemas, DVDs or what? Are they modern or old films?

3. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I never saw Escape To Athena, but I did see The Eagle Has Landed and I liked it. I agree with you Carl, there are a lot of areas of Poetic licence, but all in all I enjoyed it. I have always been a fan of Donald Sutherlad, especially since I saw Kelly's Heroes.

For Friedrich, more info on both films:

The Eagle Has Landed

Escape To Athena

[ 24 September 2002, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Otto ]

4. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Many thanks, my highest-ranked friend! ;)

As always, helping and being nice to me! Thanks! :D

5. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

My pleasure friedrich. ;)

BTW I'm going to email you about those files you sent me, it is time for them to go online...

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for the replies.

I finally finished watching it last night. Some things were good but others I couldnt stand.

Firstly--Caines group started off as Gebirgjagers and ended with being Luftwaffe, but I guess I can over look that.

I absolutely hated Larry Hagmans character in the movie--fitting ending for his character.

Ill be starting "Escape To Athena" tonight.

I am a big fan or Roger Moore, Siegfried Rauch and Telly Savalas. But to have Sonny Bono in a war movie--oiy-ge-vay.

These two tapes just might end up on the next two quiz prizes.

7. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Personally I liked "Eagle has landed". Hard to find anyone who can play the role of Heini but I thought Donald Pleasance did ok. I am sure that is how the Reich was managed. By everybody using der Fuhrer's signature.

I do have to agree with Larry Hagman's role. That was as irritating as Ja Ja Binx's role in Star Wars. Grreeoowww!

It is one video I would buy just for the entertainment value and not the historical accuracy. I do like that theme song though.

8. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Well, I will try to get them! Or win them in the next Quiz! ;) :D

You see, Martin? I am not the only one who appreciates the music in films! [​IMG]

9. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I've seen "the eagle has landed" and I think its an interesting film. Its alittle strange, but I thought it was pretty exciting. Michael Caine does a good job in his role. I've never even heard of the other film.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Well guys--I think ill put "The Eagle Has Landed" up for grabs in the next quiz. Ill do that as soon as I find a suitable question for it.

I just started watching "Escape To Athena" and im not impressed with it. I mean come on--SONNY BONO. I did like the surprise I have seen in the film so far. It was a camoe with William Holden as the cameo.

I also like Stephani Powers legs though--she is one hot babe :eek: :eek: :eek:

Also the action just started--so ill try to see the rest of the movie tonight and will give more details.

11. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

'Eagle Has Landed' - OK entertainment but that's all - and it's really not as good as 'Went The Day Well' which was made along similar lines during the war.

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Just finished watching "Escape to Athena" its not a war movie for my collection--even though I liked most of the actors in it. I have never liked Elliot Gould.

This movie will be up for grabs in another quiz.