Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Your worst "good" movie

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Slipdigit, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

We have a thread talking about actors we dislike, here is a thread about movies.

There are many pictures that win Oscars, etc and are considered great by the critics and others who are supposed to know that kind of stuff that just suck. One noticeable example (to me, anyway) is 2001, A Space Oddity, er, uh..Odyssey. It has been hailed here and yon as a movie masterpiece and I think it sucks on so many levels. I've tried over the years to watch it, starting in my youth. I was never able to finish it until this past year as it was so profoundly boring. Some of the cinematography was pretty good but the story and dialogue was plain and simply utter crap. I wanted to throw my shoe at the TV to stop that insipid buzzing when they found that whatever-it-was on the moon.

Anyway, tell about your least favorite "great" movie. It does not have to be a WWII movie, but please confine it to fairly well known, well-regarded (by some) movies.

Just for additional discussion fodder, Out of Africa was a POS, too.

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

For me it's The English Patient. Never understood it and gave it only one try.

At the risk of my position here I do like 2001, but then I am a Sci-Fi guy.

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Not sure if it won any Oscars, but the hype was big. And i was so excited to see it. The trailers were always better than the movies back then.
    Death Race 2000
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2GEKV1dOgY

4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

A Clockwork Orange. I guess I don't have the brain capacity for it or soemething, but it was just weird.

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

"The Thin Red Line"

6. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Yup. For some reason people think it's phenomenal.

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

"Dances with Wolves". :yuck:

8. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

1. Brazil. - Five Star Rated at the time - still is in the odd place.
    I went with a crowd of friends. They all wanted to leave part way through - in time to recover their ticket money.
    So, so bad. I talked them into an endurance contest. We were Brain Damaged by the time we left the theater.

2. Galaxy Quest. So dumb & so bad I can not get enough of it.
    I'm addicted - its so bad. I watch it every time it comes up on the boob tube.
    It hasn't been shown in a pigs age, so I trolled through the TV guide just a few days ago half hoping it would show up.

Different strokes for different folks. I sat through this 3 times in a row, back to back - the day it came out.

9. Takao

Takao Ace

Wasn't that the failed TV pilot that was later evolved into "Dancing with the Stars"?

10. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

The instructions were pretty clear. :shifty: You were supposed to drop acid a half hour before going into the movie theatre. :bobble8: :bobble8:
    And no, spilling Vinegar on the floor does not substitute.
    [​IMG]
    I think the greatest thing that could be done to improve the quality of entertainment coming out of Hollywood would be to revoke Kevin Costner's Actors Certificate. [​IMG]

11. TD-Tommy776

I completely agree with you on Brazil. Galaxy Quest I actually like. It is a spoof on the aging Star Trek actors and their fans. Granted, it is not in the category of Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein, but it's actually very funny if you pick up on some of the more subtle jokes.

12. TD-Tommy776

I think you may be right, Takao. They even carried forward the practice of casting talentless actors as the "stars".

13. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Rocky Horror Picture Show sucked. Even if I was ripped to $#1t it would still suck. And people went to see that thing hundreds and hundreds of times. It's still playing in some theaters in California I hear.

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Anything by Uwe Boll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Boll

especially Blubberella was horrible.

Another movie was

Churchill-the Hollywood years...truly makes me vomit...

In this irreverent parody, the British court and war government consist mainly of idiots and/or traitors. Hitler moves into Buckingham palace and plans to marry into the Windsors. A US Army officer claims the cigar-smoking iconic PM was an actor, Ray Bubbles, impersonating his own father, USMC lieutenant Winston Churchill, a genius spy who stole an enigma code machine and almost single-handedly won a very alternative battle for Britain.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359078/

15. lwd

lwd Ace

I'm not sure that's fair. It was a parody so it's suppose to be "dumb" and "bad" to some extent or it doesn't work. That it also was respectful of SF movies and fandom was a masterful job of tight rope walking. Of course some might say that fans are self parodying so it wasn't as difficult as it might otherwise have been.

16. lwd

lwd Ace

It is still playing occasionally in places. There were just enough good scenes in it for it to be truly disappointing in my book. They did enough to show they could have done a good job but didn't want to. The fan interactions make it even worse IMO if you are seeing it in a theater.

17. Takao

Takao Ace

They showed it at the local museum last week.

Never saw it...Never wanted to.

18. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

I agree ...also Slumdog Millionaire....I liked 2001..environment, sets. etc great...I read the book, though,and they were using typewriters! but all the other stuff was futuristic....also, Robin Hood:prince of Thieves with Costner was not good

19. lwd

lwd Ace

The light show in the middle of 2001 seamed aimed at the drug crowd. Went on way too long IMO and I liked the movie. The short story it was based on was better than the movie as was the novelization.

20. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

You're not missing anything. I'd rather watch "Pearl Harbor" again.