Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Youth Movements in WWII and in wartime in general

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by tovarisch, Jan 15, 2010.

1. tovarisch

tovarisch Member

Guys, I need major help on a project I'm working on in the course of my studies, it's about Youth Movements in WWII and in wartime in general. I'm doing this as part of a Theory Of Knowledge course. I mean, the Hitlerjugend and Molodaya Gvardiya or the Komsomol would be obvious choices, but I'd like to find out if there were any other organisations earlier on, in WWI, the Napoleonic Wars perhaps, Vietnam maybe, just in wartime history in general.

If anyone could assist me in finding out about this topic, that would be just awesome. Thanks in advance, tovarisch. :)

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

3. 519th Andrew

519th Andrew Member

Check out Rebirth of the West, The Americanization of the Democratic World, 1945-1958 by Peter Duignan and Lewis H Gann. I have seen mention that this book discusses youth movements in Europe.

tovarisch likes this.
  4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

You might find some interesting stuff on the internet if you google up the name "Wandervogel". While the Scouting movement was popular in the rest of the world at the time, at turn of the century Germany (1901) it was the Wandervogel. During WW1 a couple of units were formed of former Wandervogel clubs. Don't recall the number exactly, but you can probably find them on the "net".

A number of the future Nazis who formed the Hitler Jungend had been involved in the Wandervogel as well, and patterned some of its goals and traditions into the new group. Don't know much about the pre-WW1 French youth groups, but I assume they as well as the Brits and Americans favored the Boy Scouts. There were also a few youth groups sponsered by different church groups, but they weren't nearly as popular nor as "outgoing" (camping/hiking) as the Scouts.

tovarisch likes this.
  5. tovarisch

tovarisch Member

Thank you!! I've had minimum progress on this project so, and this info has really helped bring it back to life a bit. I'll try to get my hands on that book, Rebirth of the West, it sounds dead interesting. Thanks for the tip, guys! :)

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

7. Vitesse

Vitesse Member

8. AdanBrenin

AdanBrenin recruit

Civil Rights Movements during war and wartime in general have always been a topic of discussion. During World War II A. Philip Randolph, a labor organizer, had proposed a march in Washington. D.C. with about 100,000 African Americans for jobs in the national defense and equal integration in the fighting forces. He was joined by Bayard Rustin who was one of the founders of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. The march, however, was ultimately cancelled when the then President, Franklin Roosevelt, agreed to end discrimination in war employment. There’s some great information on this topic on shmoop.com. Gave me a good background and interesting tidbits!

9. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor