Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Z force member returns to Darwin

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by CAC, Feb 17, 2015.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

I've read about Lark force, but not Z....tough times [ mentally and physically ] back then...I take it they flew at night?? ...very commendable/more difficult than it seems

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yeah mostly at night...many different missions from bombing to dropping agents...there's a great b grade or 70s Australian tv show called Spy Force starring the great Jack Thompson...a cross between John Wayne and Robert Mitchum in style...type spy force into you tube and check it out...

4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

yes, funny but fun......so, Darwin was almost on the ''front'' lines, except for Moresby..? I see there are old bunkers there.....
    Z force<>of course we love our small unit spec ops ops [ operations ], at least I do...I see they used boats also....wow, what a feeling that must've been, going out in a small unit, ''behind'' the lines...wow!

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Darwin was bombed 64 times over 2 and a half years...hundreds dead...more bombs dropped on Darwin in the first raid than on Pearl Harbour (the same carrier group) - Great timing actually the anniversary is tomorrow!

6. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

that fact never really hit me..I would think, I've read that before, [ but it never sunk in? ] so you are where history happened! good/ lucky? for you
    anniversary of first raid??

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yep...first raid on a damp wet season morning...A full on day for Darwin and its residents and defenders to be sure...surreal...No building over two stories, so everyone could see what was going on...