Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Does anyone have any info concerning the paint scheme and squadron markings for the DO217 E series?

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by maxmwill, Oct 16, 2011.

1. maxmwill

maxmwill Member

I'm getting deeper into a DO217E project in 1/48 scale. I'm trying to find alternate paint schemes and squadron symbols for the various DO217's. Right now, all I have to go on is William Green's War Planes of the 3rd Reich, but that is kinda limited. Also, would anyone have a source for pics of the internal structure for the 217? Thank you.

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I believe that stil lthe best source for paint codes and colour shades is The Official Monogram Painting Guide To German Aircraft 1935-1945 by Kenneth A Merrick and Thomas H Hitchcock ( Monogram Aviation Publications 1980 ).The colour swatches included are very useful indeed.

I'm afraid I can't help with internal details of the Do17 series ; an aircraft that has been rather overlooked by English-language aviation historians.

Individual Squadron schemes are also not easy to find ; for some odd reason the Do17 hasn't (yet) been included in the Osprey books which are usually a good source for individual markings.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I knew I had something in my collection : a reasonable source for the Do-17 is 'Dornier 17 In Focus' by Chris Goss ( Red Kite, 2005, ISBN 0-9546201-4-3 ).

Although in no way a definitive book ( no scale plans etc ) it carries a remarkable selection of detailed photos as well as four pages of colour profiles. Also, being a softback, it shouldn't cost too much money.

4. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

5. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

you might check out German Aircraft of World War 2 by Kenneth Munson