Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

High School Sweetheart

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Poppy, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

She died several years ago of a suicide.

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Had fond memories of the alive version. Peace Wendy.

4. Marmat

Marmat Member

... personally I preferred the lovely Miss Williams in calico, the lyrical complexity, violins, and chainsaws of "Butcher Baby", oh yeah, oh no ...

[video=youtube;X1gmbBrRoEs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1gmbBrRoEs&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

5. ptimms

ptimms Member

6. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

7. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

While I liked Debbie Harry, I was well out of both high school, the USN, and college by the time she showed up. I'll really date myself here, and only include the reasonably decent female artists in my links, and they were so "wholesome" in retrospect I'm almost floored. Only Marianne Faithfull would have any sort of "dirt" thrown her way, and that was long after I first heard her and saw her on (I think) the Ed Sullivan Show.

I suppose the two that stick in my “high school” mind are Marianne Faithfull and Shelley Fabares, how dated is that? Of course I also had a semi-crush on Mary of Peter, Paul and Mary as well.

Goto:

Marianne Faithfull - As Tears Go By (1965) - YouTube

and:

Johnny Angel - Shelly Fabares - YouTube

Shelly Fabares was really more of an actress than vocalist, but she was still pretty and had a decent voice for the time. Later while I was out of college for those years in the Vietnam era (USN) I did have a bit of a thing in my head for Grace Slick, and I don't apologize for it. Different times, different attitudes.

8. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Marianne Faithfull and Shelley Fabares ???? I must have led a very sheltered life cause' I have to admit I don't recognize either of those names. :eek: While my buddies were fawning over the likes of Joan Jet I was (and still am) particularly drawn to Barbara Mandrell. Saw her at a County Fair back in 74' and when our eyes met - never mind, got to go take my heart med's now.

9. ptimms

ptimms Member

'Fraid not. Oxfordshire born and bred. I was 16 in 78 and have held a torch for Ms Harry ever since. Although I did briefly flirt with Pat Benatar, the girls in the ZZ Top video's and any other skirt I saw !!

10. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

You had to be a teenager in the early sixties to recognize those two. Only Shelley Fabares is possibly recognizable to any later group. She was the "love" interest of the coach, in "Coach". Marianne Faithfull ended up in "trouble" after she and Mick J. of the "Stones" became an item. Told ya, dating myself. But you guys asked!!!

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

2 points for bringing in Deb Harry....Marianne was made famous more so for her nudity and a Mars bar, bear skin rug when the police raided the castle her and some of the Stones were in. Apparently, there was a fellow there who was manufacturing and selling LSD when the police raided. It was all in a briefcase. When a constable tried opening it, the fellow said it was full of undeveloped film, and if the constable opened it, the film would be ruined. If the LSD had been discovered, some of the Stones would have gone to jail, and they may never have achieved what they have.

12. Marmat

Marmat Member

Deborah Harry was OK, but I never cared much for testosterone driven gal singers in otherwise male oriented type rock bands. That said, my fav chanteuse of the era was Kate Bush, hardly a rocker type, followed by Maddy Prior of Steeleye Span, Annie Haslam of Renaissance, and arguably the best of them all in the English folk/blues/classic/rock genre, the late great Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention, who was also the only guest vocalist to feature on a Led Zeppelin album. Prior's so-so, but the rest range from very cute, to gorgeous (Bush)!

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Must admit Debbie Harry was awesome, but I recall that perhaps Olivia Newton-John at the time of Xanadu was my top favourite. I do recall the Plasmatics, and I think she had a duet with Lemmy Kilmister? Anyway, a bit in the same series the Missing persons was my favourites in the early 1980´s next to Bowie. At least Dale Bozzio was quite a colourful vocalist...And then there was Dalbello in 1984... ;)

Missing persons: Words (1981)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasCZL072fQ

15. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Lulu...The man who stole the world...But Marriane Faithfull...excellent choice...But oh....I wish I was a punk rocker..with flowers in my hair.....now theres a song.

16. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Two words....Suzi Quatro.....

17. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

What no Abba? Agnetha and Frida? ;) I recall Kenny Everett putting a classical cd or the sort in a cd machine, then taking it out, putting some c**p on it to prove it won´t disturb the player at all, and when he put it inside the cd player, it was Abba.... ;)

GRW likes this.
  18. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Forgot about Agnetha!!!:cool:

19. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Since the subject was "High School Sweethearts", I presumed that it was female singers while I was in H.S., and this was a question which would date me. Since I was into college by 1967, I included those whom I remembered from that era of my youth. I forgot about Lulu, and Petula Clark, and also Michelle Phillips of the Mamas and Papas, since I didn't really "see" The Mamas and Papas perform (on tv) as a group until way later in their careers as things were getting "weird" for them. They were just voices on the radio, very few images until the early seventies even though California Dreaming was released as a semi-video on a tv show we never got here in Montana.

Goto:

The Mamas & The Papas: California Dreamin' - YouTube

I had no idea who was Cass and who was Michelle until way after their songs were winners. Never bought one of their albums until the group broke up. Now Abba didn't show up in America until the mid-seventies, when I was both long out of high school and the USN as well. I liked Abba just fine, but I was a married adult with a son of my own by then. When Abba was getting popular I was more of a Fleetwood Mac fan, and you can tell where that would go (Stevie Nicks), but they weren't around when I was in High School either.

Just remembering the time, and another female voice and "looks" came back. Dusty Springfield, how could I have forgotten.

20. Marmat

Marmat Member

I'm sure most of you are already aware of this as it made the news some time ago but Frida Lyngstad, the ABBA brunette, was a Lebensborn child from the Narvik area. She was the result of a relationship between a young Norwegian girl and a married German soldier, but was born after the war had ended so her mother didn't receive any benefits, her father had returned to Germany. Fearing retribution in Norway, the child was raised in Sweden by her grandmother.

See, you don't have to look all that far, there are links back to WWII everywhere!