Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Australian 7th "Kookaburra" Division Information....

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by MARNE, Sep 22, 2006.

1. MARNE

MARNE Member

Hey guys,

I've started getting my pieces together to start portraying the 2nd Battalion, 27th Australian Infantry Regiment, a South Australian Battalion of the Australian 7th Infantry Division "Kookaburra". I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what type of uniforms they were issued, etc... things of this nature.

Any information will be GREATLY appreciated...Thanks,

Regards,
    MARNE

2. Ali Morshead

Ali Morshead Member

MARNE,

Its 2/27 Australian Infantry Bn. Part of 21st Brigade, 7th Australian Infantry Div. While the Kookaburra was the Div Vehicle sign it was never part of its name.

2/- represents it is part of the 2nd AIF, the 1st AIF fought in WW1.

Its unit patch was a diamond with Brown (Top half)over Blue with a narrow grey border. This is the same colours as the original 27th Bn except for the grey border.

What era are you looking at, Uniforms changed.

Osprey Men-at-Arms volume 123 covers the Australian Army at War 1899-1975.

As at 1941
    The Slouch hat, Greatcoat & SMLE III Rifle were basically unchanged since WW1. The personal equipment was now the British 1937 webbing set, scrubbed almost white in North Africa. Unlike most British troops, the 2nd AIF units wore the thigh length, four pocket service tunic with the "Rising Sun" badge on each collar and the "Australia" title on the shoulder straps.

http://www.awm.gov.au/units/unit_11278.asp

3. MARNE

MARNE Member

Hey Ali,

The period I'm looking for is WWII 1941-1945.

Their nicknames were the "Kookaburra" and "Silent 7th" Division, correct??

I actually have found some photos of them wearing American M-1938 Dismounted, Leggings and the M-1935 Smooth Out Russet, low-Quarter, Combat Boots from the U.S. Army...needless to say I wasn't expecting that. LOL...

Thanks for the help....

Regards,
    MARNE

4. Ali Morshead

Ali Morshead Member

You cant get a uniform for 41-45, they fought in Nth Africa, Syria, New Guinea & Borneo.

Jungle gear doesnt suit the Desert.

I dont think they had nicknames, I've never heard of 9th Div called the Platypus or 6 Div the Kangaroos. 7th Divvy was good enough!

There has been an excellent book recently called "The Silent Seventh", hundred of photos of the Div at war. By the same author ? is "The Magnificent Ninth" and I gatehr a book on 6th Div is in the works.

The Osprey book also has Jungle gear, in 1942 they were wearing uniforms dyed Jungle Green (from the original Khaki). The US Army webbing gaiter was standard issue as better suited than the British short "anklets"

5. Ali Morshead

Ali Morshead Member

The picture under MARNE's name is of Lt T C(Diver) Derrick VC. DCM

Serving in 2/48Bn, 9th Div, he won the DCM at El Alamein & the VC at Sattleberg- New Guinea as a Sergeant.
    After Officer training he returned to the 2/48 and was mortally wounded at Tarakan and died on 23 May 1945
    http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-vc/derrick-vc.htm

[ 25. September 2006, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: Ali Morshead ]

6. Ali Morshead

Ali Morshead Member

7. MARNE

MARNE Member

Thanks A TON! Ali!, you been a big help....

Regards,
    MARNE

8. Diver Derrick VC

Diver Derrick VC Member

Marne I am glad to see someone else is interested in Tom Derrick's exploits form the Second World War.

He was certainly a brave and smart solider.