Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Combat! on Uncle Earl's Classic TV Channel

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by machine shop tom, Apr 23, 2023.

1. machine shop tom

machine shop tom Member

Ran across Uncle Earl's page a while ago. It has a vast amount of 1950s, 60s, 70s and later TV episodes and movies as well as other offerings. I have been watching the Combat series, of which the entire series is available here. Brings back memories of imaginary childhood battles fought against the "krauts" in the neighborhood. Is it just me, or did most kids want to be Sgt.Saunders or Pvt. Kirby?

Uncle Earl's Classic TV Channel

Half Track likes this.
  2. Maddog71

Maddog71 Member

We must be about the same age. Yea, I remember Combat. Wasn't the sgt. Vic Morrow?

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

The Good old' Days ! Went from fighting the Germans with sticks and grenades (dirt and dust wrap into balls using newspaper) to my promotion of getting a replica M1 carbine made of actual real wood :D
    Watched a few episodes of 12 O'clock High a couple months ago.

4. Maddog71

Maddog71 Member

Your grenades sound outstanding! I don't know why we never thought of that. One of my playmates had a Japanese sword that his dad had "taken from a dead Jap" we would play with that sometimes. I don't know if his dad knew about it or not, nor do I know if Mr. Green took the sword from a "Jap." I can't recall a lot about the blade, but not all of the battle damage on it happened in the Pacific. ;)

Biak likes this.
  5. Biak

Those grenades HURT when there was a dirt clod (or rock) hidden inside !
    You were living large with that sword :eek: Those things have an edge you can literally shave with ! Hoping everyone had all their limbs after the battles.

6. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Very valuable link. I just watched “THE BIG PICTURE “ tv series on the 29th Infantry Division.

7. Maddog71

Maddog71 Member

The worst "grenades" that we ever used were "all natural." At a friend's farm, we would search the hayloft of the barn for abandoned chicken nest with rotten eggs. You knew they were rotten if you could hear the liquid when you shook them. There was never a question if you had been "taken out" by one of them.

Biak likes this.
  8. Maddog71

Maddog71 Member

When we got through "Hi-yacking" sticks, limbs, vines and trees with it, it would probably not cut butter. ;) His dad must have wondered about the deterioration of the blade over time. ;)

I see the son every now and then, I will have to ask him what ever happened to the sword. He was an only child and I bet he has it today.

Biak likes this.
  9. Biak

Having the sword would be worth more that anything an antique dealer would offer. I'm guessing of course, but the memories of running around raising Holy H#ll when we were young and indestructible are priceless !