Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Destruction of civilian firearms by American forces

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by Ken The Kanuck, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Well-Known Member

Breaks one's heart, many a Stutzen , Mannlicher or Steyer in that pile. I bet a 7X57 Mauser with French Walnut, Bayern cheekpiece , stetcher triggers and a claw mounted Hensoldt scope with my name on it was buried within.

I realize there were some die hard Nazi youths or older that might try to use some of these but hard to seem them destroyed. Years of craftsmanship gone. But then in addition to millions of people I sometimes think of all the violins, cellos, architecture, furniture, paintings, sculpture , fabrics , etc. that was destroyed. I am often amazed at what was spared at times. Christies had an Auto Union GP car for auction last year. Cannot imagine how many SSK's were destroyed.
    as well as animals, both domestic and wild but of course human beings first of all. that sad story posted about the B-24 hitting that Lancashire school full of children comes to mine.

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That is a shame. However, it probably was as much a symbolic message to the people as it was an act of disarmament. They could just as easily have thrown them in the truck and left and the people would have been just as disarmed. Destroying their firearms in such a public way certainly made a lasting impression on them.

belasar likes this.
  4. Mehar

Mehar Ace

From the footage a few civilians walk by with colored armbands on, anyone know what these were for?

5. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Typical government mind set, somehow they think that by destroying a fine old hammer shotgun they would stop the civilian population from running amok when the whole country is awash in the latest military weaponry?

This reminds me of when our brillant Libtard government brought in long gun registration, a waste of money and totally useless.

KTK

6. TD-Tommy776

Are you referring to the men that appear at about :22 and 1:53? They seem to be wearing white bands on their left arms.

I'm certainly with you, Ken. In the long run, it's a waste.

7. Mehar

Mehar Ace

Yeah those are the ones, the man with the cane that walks past the man with the visible white band with the stripe around 0:22 is also wearing one that seems to just be white?

8. TD-Tommy776

I wonder if the "stripe" is just something used to tie the white band around his arm. There may have been a shortage of pins. ;)

I don't really know why they're wearing them. Hopefully someone here will have some idea.