Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Old farmer tricks...

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by brndirt1, Jun 6, 2013.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

My Grandpa showed me this trick, if you can catch an adult chicken, and hold it gently you can hypnotize it with one finger. Holding it on its back with its wings against it’s body, simply circle an extended finger around it’s head slowly, a single but either direction for a while (don't go one way and then the other or it won't work), and the chicken will simply “lock up”. It can’t move in the least, and as soon as you feel it sort of “relax and cease struggling” you can then use it for a door-stop if you like. It will sit there until it dies (sadly enough), and never come out of the trance. Don’t ask me why, I don’t know. After a few hours of moving your living but inert chicken around for a time, and setting it in odd places like a living paper weight you can bring it out of the trance by throwing it up in the air. Don’t worry, chickens can sort of fly; at least enough to come down without injury. There is something about the sensation of “falling” that overcomes the trance.

A person can do something quite similar to baby snow shoe jackrabbits, prong horn antelope fawns, or mule deer fawns, those mulies are the only ones I've ever found out on the prairie. White and black tails are usually in the willows and cottonwood scruff . If you happen to “spot them” while they are laying down and trying to be “invisible, like Mom hopes”. At any rate simply start walking around them in larger to smaller circles at a slow pace, shrinking the circle as you do without ever looking directly at them. When you get down to “arm’s length” of them, it is a simple matter of just picking them up. Until you do they will just lie there. They don’t stay “hypnotized” like a chicken, as soon as you grab them they will react. But simply holding them gently will relax them to where they stop trying to flee. I solved that by covering them tightly with my jacket to take them home and show the kids. We raised the fawns as pets, ate the rabbits after checking their livers.

Interesting phenomenon, don’t you think?

2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

A pleasure to hear from you BD1...Not sure if my city allows chickens on a residential property. Have heard some good things about raising a couple hens in yer backyard...I'll call them fat budgies, should city inquire...May test the envelope here...
    Best wishes to you sir.

3. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

I leave you two all alone here to prosper on the forum thinking without me you will rise to greater literary heights unobstructed by one who takes odd steps and strokes to arrive at the higher meanings of things in the WWII forum's high goals and aspirations.....then I come back to see where you have made it to and wow.................there you are hypnotizing and stroking fowls to gain some kind of control over them....experimenting throughout the animal kingdom to see what you can make work on the rest of God's creation......now I am wondering if you can't take it up ..........maybe you will take it down and start talking and stroking plants and minerals to gain control of crystals and plant products. Pretty soon Poppy will have his own set of chickens, sleep on a feather pillow making circular motions in front of em to take their feathers for the making of more pillows to sell. Pretty soon you will have to join the club I have seen at the truck stop for the "Chicken Haulers" and I am trying to keep my imagination from creating any images of what they might do with those chickens they may have used a Burndirt tactic on.....................please that I wouldn't have checked on you guys today! :chick:

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Ha.hahaha... Two pleasures in one day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxf-IqdjOG4

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

When you describe it like that, it does seem a bit more disturbing... :cool:

6. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Just once...just once...to have an army of chickens....Didn;t I see Birtricht say that in a bridge too far...Imagine...Dropping an airborne division of chikens...No need for parachutes...Quck to assemble on ground...Blend into coutnryside...They'd have made it to Arnhem Bridge..Krafft would not have stopped them...What do I do with this 17 pounder trigger sarge...Just pullitt....And even if Grabner had come over the bridge...headless chickens would still be fighting to the end...

Just once to have such an army....Egged on by the yank 82nd Turkeys...and the 101;st Roosters...A bridge too far?

And the regimental march...chick, chick, chick chick...chicken...lay a litlle egg for me....

7. TD-Tommy776

Something like that has been tried, sort of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST01bZJPuE0

formerjughead and belasar like this.
  8. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

Clint - on a more prosaic note....or is that prozac??? -

...that sounds to be not a kick in the ass away from the deadly phenomenon of a sheep rolling on its back - after a relatively short time blood flow to the brain will cut off and unless righted fast the sheep wiill experience brain damage and if not die have to be put down!

9. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Sheep do indeed....cast....the art of rolling on back...most though are found..Regulations mean all sheep holders in UK have to regularly check their flocks where ever they are..or Defra get you on the rack.

Plus the army of dog walkers and "concerned bystanders" are always quick to call the RSPCA these days.

10. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

So this is what they do for fun on the farm....

11. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

They do a lot more than that also, cow tipping, cow milking, etc. That is of course until a pig named Napoleon overthrows the farmers.

Trying very hard to decipher urqh's posts. Profile says he's from England, but I can't imagine english is his first language, or his second for that matter.

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I guess "the farmers daughters" were pretty popular too for good reason.

Don't try to comprehend urqh. You'll blow too many fuses doing that. Besides, you'd have to be one of those "tin foil hat" wearers to fully comprehend what he's trying to get across at times.

13. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

Has anyone heard of holding a knife on a Bee sting to take away the pain? Just talked to an old West Virginia guy and he said if you get stung to press the flat edge of a good quality steel knife on the sting for 5 minutes and the pain goes away. You will still have a small bump where the stinger is but the 'hurt' is gone? Probably an old Rural Myth and he has been known to stretch the truth a bit.

14. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Sounds like that bit falls under the same category of questionable things like a girl not getting pregnant if she has sex while standing up.

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Did the Urqh get his lisp back? ..Thought we had previously discussed that he is a savant, but I subscribe to the notion that he has http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_syndrome . And the fact he sings like Johnny. ..But who am I to point fingers? [wink]

16. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

When did he lose his lisp? Should we send out a search team? A lisp search strike team maybe? Say that five times real fast eh!

17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

At the Aids march. He refused the ribbon.

18. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The Aids March? He was heckling?

Back to the topic at hand before the Flying Monkey's swoop down on us.

I read about the first old farmer's trick back when I was in elementary school learning about the Pilgrims. This Indian name Squanto taught them to fertilize the crops they planted with fish. Not really sure if that happened or not but that's what we learned about the Pilgrims. That and they wore funny clothes.

19. TD-Tommy776

Or a lisp search strike squad. Gotsta maximize the "s" factor. ;)

20. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

No. No lisp search teams. This will be totally black ops...
    Now, I feel obligated to tell an animal mesmerizing trick... Scratch a dog or cat under its' chin or around it's ear. You will be surprised at the creatures response, which effects you.