Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Paint round?

Discussion in 'The Tanks of World War 2' started by Ebar, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    The old film Kelly's Heroes they mention the idea of using a paint round to blind enemy tanks. Any thoughts one whether this would work in practice?

My own guess is with even the lowest velocity AT gun you hit so hard the paint would be spread too thinly

2. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ridiculous. When you're close enough to an enemy tank to hit it, you fire either HE or AP and try to freak out the crew or knock out the tank, respectively.

3. son of piet

son of piet New Member

via TanksinWW2
    it doesn't make any sense, other than that a pink tiger would certainly stick out!
    But if I recall correctly he shot with blue paint, at a very small hollywood-makebelief-tiger?

SoP

4. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The "Tiger" in that movie was a mocked-up T55, I believe, just like the one in Saving Private Ryan.

5. Tony Williams

Tony Williams Member

via TanksinWW2
    Reminds me of the story told by the old WW2 sailor who served on an anti-sub ship, in the Green Paint Division. When asked why his unit was called that, he explained that early in the war, there was a great shortage of depth charges. So they carried large quantities of green paint with them and poured it onto the sea where they suspected a U-boat to be, then sat quietly and waited. Eventually the sub came to periscope depth and popped up its scope, which was promptly covered in green paint so the sub commander didn't know it was above the surface, so the U-boat kept rising.

"And then what?" Asked his audience.

"We waited until it was a few hundred feet in the air and then shot it down with AA guns..." :lol:

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum

6. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What is the difference bethween a fairytale and a seastory?
    Fairytale starts with "Once upon a time..."
    Seastory starts with "Now this aint no s**t..."

7. Varyag

Varyag New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I just saw Kelly's Heroes again, it's a great movie. I think the idea with the paint round was a psy-war thing to freak out German troops with red paint looking like blood. But it is a comedy and not meant to be realistic. The 'Tigers' looked crappy, but they had a lot of great looking Shermans in the movie.

8. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Tigers were a great improvement on former WW2 movies, however - they were not so bad. What was bad about Kelly's Heroes was the plot and the acting.