Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

polish lancers attack ss tanks?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by majorwoody10, Oct 6, 2006.

1. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i just read an account of how a polish cavalry force wearing brass helmets and breast plates (napolionic style ) attacked an ss tank collum with lances and sabres ..the laughing germans merely hosed the poles with mg fire and drove over the fallen tangle of horses and hussars with their treads...my question is ,how could the polish government be so stupid..i mean poland lies between russia and germany surely the poles had heard of tanks before..did they have any afv,s at all?

2. busdriver

busdriver New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Geraman war propaganda. No polish cavalry unit in second world war wore "brass" helmets and brestplates. They didn't charge attacking tanks either. Polish cavalry brigades had At guns and rifles. I read about one such charge that can be called "charge at tanks" but it was attack on a german motorized column, which was camping near the road with tank crews outside their machines. This attack failed, but stories about polish cavalry charging at tanks are without doubt one of WWII myths.

3. Gunter_Viezenz

Gunter_Viezenz New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I beleive this was covered before either on this forum or another forum I visted. Allow me to explain. The Cavalry did not charge tanks but they charged Germany infantry for the purpose of delaying the germany advance to allow parts of the polish army to retreat to the next defensive positions. The cavalry charge was succesful contrary to popular belief. Than it was later that day or the next day German armour came to the area where the battle was fought and later Italian reporters came. They seen dead horse, dead soldiers and tanks and came to concusion the Poles made a fieble attempt to charge with swords against German tanks. Also I believe General Heinz Guderian mention the Polish charge against German tanks in his diary or somewhere dont recall.

This was used as propoganda for both the Germans and Soviets. The Soviets used that as a reason not to give the Polish armies large number of Polish officers but it was because so many have already been executed by the time they needed the Poles to fight with them.

4. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    did the poles have their own tanks?

5. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes, but not very many.

They had:

around 450 TK and TKS tankettes - most were armed with just mgs, and were essentially worthless, but the few armed with a 20mm gun made useful Tank Destroyers.

38 Vickers 6-ton tanks (16 with a 47mm gun, 22 with twin mg turrets)

135 7TP tanks (a home-built improvement on the Vickers 6-ton).

In

The Tankettes were crappy, the Vickers were ok, the 7TP was better than most of the German tanks.

Germany deployed:

1,445 Pz.I tanks (equivalent to the tankettes)

1,223 Pz.II tanks (equivalent to the tankettes with 20mm gun)

98 Pz.III tanks (equivalent to the 7TP)

211 Pz.IV tanks (as close-support weapons, not as anti-tank weapons)

Both sides had roughly equal anti-tank guns and anti-tank rifles.

(info from the Osprey book "Poland 1939")

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    This is incorrect from the start, there were no SS Tank units at the point of the invasion of Poland, the Waffen-SS didn't even exist at that time only the SS-VT which was smallish Infantry units more or less under the direct control of the army until the Waffen-SS was created about a year later.

7. Gunter_Viezenz

Gunter_Viezenz New Member

via TanksinWW2
    A bit of a fact is that the 7TP by designation states 7 ton Polish but, it weight more around 10 tons.

Poland had actually some pretty decent tank designs for prototyes but they never got a chance to put in production.

10 TP was a Polish prototype; it carried a 37mm cannon and a 7.92mm machine gun. It was based on Walter Christie's chasis but since he backed out of a deal Poland build a tank of their own. It could run on either tracks or wheels. The Polish dropped the idea of running on wheels as there was little benefit and the upside was less complex and lighter.

I will name a couple more and post a link if anyone is interested.
    4TP(PZInż.140)- prototype light recon tank
    4TP(PZInż.130)- this apprently was an amphibious version of the same vehicle.
    4TP(PZInż.160)- low profile tank destroyed remained prototype(or more likely just a drawing) do to outbreak of war.

Actually the 4TP dosent belong to the last two but they were based on the same vehicle.

Also Poland had enought FT-17 tanks to arm 3 light tank companies.
    In the early 1930s Poland build an SPG under the name TKD which was based on the TK-3 tankette chasis. It was armed with a 47mm cannon. It was a 47mm infantry gun which was designed in Poland.
    A couple more like the TKS-D, there was plans to build a 14TP tank.

Links:
    http://derela.republika.pl/armcarpl.htm#tanks
    http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pol.htm (lost of the same information just put togethor more neatly, link above was used for majority of early armour)
    http://www.wwiivehicles.com/poland/index.htm