Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Recommended WWII Militaria sites?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Gibson, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Gibson

Gibson Member

I would like to hear some of your opinions on which sites are best known for the authenticity of products. I plan on collecting various WWII medals and gear, but am not interested in shelling out $300 on a replica. Browsing though my issue of WWII Magazine has left several websites listed, but as to their "guarenteed" authenticity I am confused. I am not an expert in collecting things, but hoping some of you were. So what is recommended, especially medal-wise. I would certainly like to find some authentic Iron Crosses, Wound Badges, Infantry Assualt, etc.

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Being a naturally suspicious person I don't trust any of them ! But some of the sites must be OK and I'm sure others wll know them.
    Of course in being in London there are reputable dealers where the items can be inspected before buying.
    If you are building a new collection, as with collecting anything, knowledge is essential. As a starting point I'd recommend a little book ( still in print ) called 'A Collector's Guide to Third Reich Militaria - Detecting The Fakes' by Robin Lumsden ( Ian Allan - London ). This has helped me to discover a surprising number of fake items masquerading as original.
    Good Hunting !

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I buy from www.blackcrossmilitaria.com from Janet Hamilton. They are a bit pricy at times but have great stuff and are wellknown and trusted.

www.weitze.com Helmut Weitze of Hamburg, Germany. Another person with great stuff and for cheaper prices. Then you have Detlev Niemann also of Hamburg, Germany. Excellent stuff at good prices. Then you have Carsten Baldes and I think his site is: www.carstenbaldes.de more great items for a pretty good price. www.friedls-militaria.de I bought stuff from him as well as all I have listed here and he sells for good prices.

Ruptured Duck (Bill Shea) had great items but are priced too high. GDM Militaria is a great site (go to www.wehrmacht-awards.com site and click on the refresh button to see links to Detlevs site and GDM militaria.

[ 25 June 2002, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I haven't yet bought from them, but recommended a while back on this forum was The Collector's Guild on : -

www.germanmilitaria.com

Their website has excellent visuals.

5. SMJ

SMJ Member

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Good choich Sverri, he is also listed as a sponsor on the Wehrmacht-awards forums and is very trusted--I plan on ordering something from him soon as soon as i can get some debt paid for on my main credit card.

7. SMJ

SMJ Member

Yes!

He is one you can trust.

I ones bought at a german dogtag, from the Stab. Komp. SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt. 24 "DANMARK"

I think he also the writer on SS items, or something.

He´s name is Lucas or something like that.

Sverri

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

He is Peter v. Lucas. He is also as respected as Detlev Niemann and Carsten Baldes are.