Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Troopship Queen Mary painting

Discussion in 'Art of War' started by ULITHI, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

When I was 10, my parents gave me a choice on a family vacation in California: Spend the night on the Queen Mary, or go to Disneyland. I chose the Mary, and never would regret it! A kid from the desert seeing one of the greatest liners of all time? No brainer!

I did a painting of her years ago in her Cunard colors, but decided I wanted one of her during her "finest hour".

The painting is of her being spotted by RAF Coastal Command near the end of one of her crossings. I painted her around 1944, when she had the max gun emplacements put on her decks.

The sunrise is based on a photo of one I took outside my house. I apologize to plane buffs here if I butchered the PBY. I still need to work on my planes, as much as I love them.

It turned out OK I guess, although I now kind of think painting a gray ship at dawn might be a little to lack luster.

Hope you enjoy looking at it!

Attached Files:

2. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Darren, I see nothing wrong with your PBY, again you've painted another great painting - well done!

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Yep, another superb painting and a clue to your interest in Ocean going vessels. Most kids would have jumped on Disneyland! A trip like you described would certainly reinforce a passion and help it grow. Kudo's to your Mom & Dad!

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

There's not much else to say, Darren. Another great job. Thanks for sharing.

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

While the Queen is a beautiful ship, and your painting of her is superb, one must remember that while doing her courageous troop transport ferrying duty, she was also involved in a nasty maritime disaster with the HMS Curacao coming out on the very short end of that stick in 1942.

12.00 noon I relieved Tommy as lookout on the quarter deck, he reported Queen Mary sighted with HMS "Curacaos" in the fare of her, what happened in the next few moments was too quick to be true, unfortunately it was true. I glanced and saw Q.M: and Curacao they seemed ok from our position, Tommy and I put a cigarette in our mouths, I lit a match gave him a light, lighted my own, and looked astern. Queen Mary going strong at approx 20 knots "Curacao" I could see no sign, I immediately contacted the bridge and reported "Curacao" had disappeared, from then on it was panic, our ship turned about, asdis lamps flashing messages, we past the Queen Mary she was still making for homeport like a bad horse, we arrived at the last position where I had seen "Curacao" what a terrible sight it was, the sea was covered in oil, dirty and black with hundreds of heads with oily faces and panicky white eyes, mouths opening and closing like fish, some shouting for their mothers and help, others just chocking with fuel oil in their lungs and dying from drowning all good British lads, bobbing up and down. We picked as many as we could 97 out of 650 the rest perished. On our way back to Ireland 5 out of the 97 we had saved from the sea died on board due to the fuel in their guts, all that destruction in the time it takes to light a cigarette.

After that incident it took me a while to settle it played on my mind and for nights sleep was hopeless. It all happened during the watch changes, the "Curacao" was doing a zig jag course in the fare of Q.M: and naturally losing her distance and it was during one of her sweeps across the bows of Q.M that she was cut in two halves. The Q.M: went throu her like a knife throu butter, to this day I wonder what the bridge personnel and lookouts of both ships were doing not to notice the nearness of each other.

Goto:

BBC - WW2 People's War - The Sinking of HMS Curacao by the Queen Mary

6. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

No need to say more than "Great!"

7. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Thanks for the kind words and salutes folks!

Yeah Clint, I thought about that tragedy when I visited the ship about a month ago. Standing by that huge bow really sunk in the notion that little Curacao didn't have a chance.

Total foulup in war. The ships needed to figure out who had the right-of-way. And furthermore, when the cruisers came in to meet her at the end of the voyage (she was fast enough to be her own convoy while crossing the large part), the Mary needed to slow down a bit in my opinion. As has been stated before, a convoy is only as fast as your slowest ship.

Anyway, I think the Courts found the guilt two thirds for the Curacao and one third for the Mary. That caused some very hard feelings as a result.

8. Clementine

Clementine Member

I am in awe!

9. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

I always enjoy looking at these when you post them. There is something that art work adds to the ship over a photograph. Do you have any regular showings here in New Mexico with your artwork? I am sometimes surprised by the people of the desert in that they do heavily participate in "things of the sea" as there are many sailors I know that have amassed a large portion of their service life at sea and then return back to the desert.

10. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Another great painting, Darren!

My mother came to Canada in June 1946, so anything to do with the QM is always extra special to me. Am entering a contest for a trip to see it for its 75th anniversary this year. I have various items about it such as her menu card, and her meal seating card, and the card for which is her room (probably shared with at least 3 other War Brides!

ULITHI likes this.
  11. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

These keep getting better each time. As always, well done Darren.

12. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Nice job Darren - if it helps I think I like the PBY slightly better. :) great bow wave though.

13. texson66

texson66 Ace

Darren,

Here's my research submission for your next painting.....:cool:

[​IMG]

ULITHI likes this.
  14. Takao

Takao Ace

Looks real good to me
    [​IMG]

Although, as a nit-picker, some water should be seen coming out of the over board discharge lines close to the waterline. As is seen here: [​IMG]

But, overall, a very good effort!

ULITHI likes this.
  15. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Dang, forgot about the discharge lines! It's been a while since I painted a liner. I can put those in no problem. Thanks!

16. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Here's another vote for the "Sammy B". :)

What are you thinking of painting next, Darren?

17. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Darren, do you ever have any shows open to the public to view your work?

18. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Alan, I'm actually working on the Sammy B right now. Been collecting images and models of the JC Butler class DE's for details.

Victor, to answer your question, no, I don't have any shows other that an entry in the state fair. I just have my WWII themed paintings here in an album on my profile.

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Nice. I'm glad I have a little bit of the history behind that painting. Wished you had signed the back of the picture. Because when you become a noted war painter, I'll have something to show. Antiques Road Show 2030 here I come.

ULITHI likes this.
  20. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

Good God you are so flippin' talented. Your paintings are flawless.

I'd love to see your work in progress. Like that painter guy that had that show on PBS..

[​IMG]

Just don't go for the same hairstyle !