Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USN experts needed. Is this shirt WW2 or not?

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Skipper, Apr 2, 2016.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

I got three sets from a store in Norfolk.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Yup, but if you're a Scurvy Pollywog and sew one on without earning it, you're going to get a ton of abuse from your shipmates if they see it. And when you do go through the ritual, you're not going to drink a shot of tabasco, you'll probably have to drink the whole bottle. Or three. Then they'll probably make you roll around in garbage for ten minutes instead of a quick dip. My nephew is a Navy Chief and we had an entertaining evening talking about how nasty some of those hazings are. In the Bluenose, you're standing on deck at the arctic circle in your underwear getting hosed down with seawater. Imagine how much fun that is for a bunch of E-3s and E-4s hosing down a new skipper when it's 20 below zero! If you're wearing boxers they usually end around your ankles or over the side, and that cold water will make everything south of your waistline retract like landing gear.

The Coast Guard changed their uniforms from that navy style just as I went in, so we had no hidden cuff to sew that stuff on. But, those various hazings are entered in your service record and lord help the guy (and there's always one) who claims he already is a Shellback, a Bluenose, a Golden Dragon, trying to avoid the hazing, because in the Coast Guard a yeoman checks all the records and sends a list to the XO and the Senior or Master Chief of the boat. Nobody gets out alive!

3. OpanaPointer

Never happened. Every Ricky Recruit had them. I had mine on my gabs.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

whatever. These shirts are much harder to get on this side of the world , so I'm happy with it. I love the dragon stories that go with it.

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Poser! Or maybe the Coast Guard is just more traditional than those newcomers in the navy, we being the oldest American sea going service.

View attachment 24027

Attached Files:

6. OpanaPointer

Yeah, out to the two fathom line anyway.

Up From Marseille and KodiakBeer like this.
  7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

So now things are unfolding . We want sailors with dragons in the poser section now :cool: