Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

ustica WW2

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by macaco, Jul 19, 2013.

1. macaco

macaco New Member

My name is Daniele Cangioli and i am Grandson of Captain Antonio Demaria , italian commander officer in Ustica and detained in a prison camp in north africa. I am looking for allied veterans who fought there or have related informations or pictures in order to know more about my Grandfather.
    Hoping in your kind help,
    Sincerly,
    Daniele Cangioli

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Benvenuto Daniele.

That is a very specific area, so there might not be anything immediately available. I would check in here occasionally and see if anyone finds anything. You never know, someone might have more info than they realize.

Good luck with your research!

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Welcome Aboard, and good luck with your research!

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome, Daniele. I wish you all the best in your search. However, WWII veterans are getting to be fewer every day, so it is not an easy goal you have. However, it never hurts to ask. It may be more likely that a relative of a WWII veteran (like yourself) may respond. I did a quick search and found a book, Prisoners of War: A Reference Handbook, which suggests that the POW camps in North Africa were temporary:

While this is referring to German POWs, I would guess the Italians would have been handled similarly. It might be worthwhile to get the book and see if it has more on the POW camps in North Africa.