Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 German tank repair crews, how many hours a day did they work?

Discussion in 'The Tanks of World War 2' started by Todd W Secrest, May 5, 2021.

1. Todd W Secrest

Todd W Secrest New Member

I'm guessing on the ww2 German front lines there was always a tank, somewhere, that needed repairs or maintenance.
    Would the German tank repair crews work sun up till sun down, 7 days a week?

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

During the early war the tanks were sent to main Germany to be repiaired. Later on they had after the beinning of Barbarossa created local repair crews which were, as I understand, quite efficient.No numbers to give,though.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Threre's not much out there about day-t-day work of tank repair crews ( Axis or Allied ). But from what I've read about front-line Panzer operations the urgency and pressure was so great that they worked until the job was done. I've certainly read thatt his was the case on the Eastern Front and in the Ardennes.

4. Todd W Secrest

I've always assumed that the vehicle repair guys willingly worked long hours, otherwise they might have to swap their tools for a Mauser 98.

5. Black6

Black6 Member

The German Army had a 4 level tank repair process. Level 1 and 2 were done in the field, either by the Pz Kompanie repair team (platoon) or at the Bn level by a repair Kompanie. Level 3 was Depot level by Army or Army Group, level 4 was factory. It was actually a good system, just constrained by rail capacity (bringing parts forward or retrograde of equipment to depot or factory).
    Either way, the mechanics in the field likely worked a lot and were in very high demand. Even if there wasn't a tank to repair, there was a truck, generator, trailer, something to weld or fabricate, etc.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  6. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Active Member

The Germans were really good at recovery and even recovery of enemy tanks. Going as far as repairing and using enemy tanks. The Russians as well doing all those panzer III conversions. In my book has pics of a panther remanufacturing factory, like a dozen or more turrets in the yard stacks of tracks and like six or seven on the assembly line. The Germans were good at getting tanks back into action. Tiger one recovery vehicle a crane in place of the gun but the Panther remove turret and build wooden box structure. Like how cheap

7. Todd W Secrest

Thank you.