Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 relic weapons recovery - Latest dig - October 2011

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by Steve T, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Steve T

Steve T Member

Hi all

As promised, here is the next lot of finds from the British army dump members of the WW2 Relic Retrieval and Preservation Group are digging.

Some more interesting finds but no video I'm afraid. I got so engrossed in digging that I forgot to record !!

I came home from this dig with two large buckets of finds, along with two carrier bags full as well. Perhaps I should point out that the whole site is full of this kind of stuff, but most of it has rotted away to a mere shadow of its former self. What you see here is about 10% of what was dug, but most of it gets left behind as it is beyond saving. Once I get the relics home, I sort them and discard anything else that is beyond saving, then set to with the cleaning.

First up a WW1 barrel mirror. For checking the bore of an MG without having to look directly down the barrel.
    View attachment 14813

A nice pile of two different types of Lee-Enfield mags

View attachment 14814

The remains of a Lee-Enfield stock with butt plate still attached. Didn't quite burn completely and a nice find.

View attachment 14815

A Bren oiler bottle, a Mk2 sten mag loading tool and the other bit is, as yet, unidentified.

View attachment 14816

A very rare beast, eventually IDd as a Boyes sub-calibre proving round. It has a rifled hole all the way through it, designed to hold a .22 cartridge.

View attachment 14817

More to follow......

Attached Files:

2. Steve T

Steve T Member

Next lot.....

More Lee-Enfield bolts. I have more than 20 from this site now. Also pictured is a slightly squashed LE brass oil bottle.

View attachment 14818

A nice LE No. 1 barrel end

View attachment 14819

A LE trigger gauge and an item from inside the jacket of a vickers cooling sleeve.

View attachment 14820

Two different bayonet scabbard tops, a Bren butt plate, a 20rnd Thompson mad, Garand clip and BAR mag. The other little item, whilst marked, is unidentified.

View attachment 14821

Sten heaven ! Two magazine housings, a couple of barrel shrouds, two magazines, a trigger cover, some half decent cocking handles, spring end caps and Mk4 mag loading tools.

View attachment 14822

Hope you like the finds :)

Cheers

Steve T

Attached Files:

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I've been following this saga over at Warrelics, as well. It's really quite amazing.....:cool: