Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

191st Combat Engineers, Light Pontoon Company

Discussion in 'The CBI Theater' started by Wendovertom, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Wendovertom

Wendovertom New Member

I am new here and am trying to do research on my grandfathers unit, the 191st Combat Engineers, Light Pontoon Company.

​I have found that this company was originally part of the 112th Engineer Battalion (Cleveland Greys) but they were reorganized in 1942 and the 2nd Battalion was designated as the 191st Combat Engineers, Light Pontoon Company. As such I have also been told by Army historians that the unit was/is listed as "unassigned, unattached" - essentially they could go anywhere and be assigned to any other unit needing logistic support (bridges) as well as fighting strength. On gentleman at the Army Center of Military History told me that in today's terms they would be considered 'special forces'.

But this is all I have been able to find - somewhat clinical and lacking in any detail. I was told that unless there was someone with a special interest in recording the company's history that the, 'dates and places' history is about as good as it will get. I am hoping that I can find someone who had a relative who served in this unit and potentially kept a diary or some type of personal history that might help fill in the gaps of my Grandfather's company history.

I do have some photos spanning from Calcutta to Kunming and Shenghi (wars end) and will see about posting them if anyone is interested.

Respectfully,

Tom P.

Bart Ingraldi likes this.
  2. Wendovertom

Wendovertom New Member

I am new here and am trying to do research on my grandfathers unit, the 191st Combat Engineers, Light Pontoon Company.

​I have found that this company was originally part of the 112th Engineer Battalion (Cleveland Greys) but they were reorganized in 1942 and the 2nd Battalion was designated as the 191st Combat Engineers, Light Pontoon Company. As such I have also been told by Army historians that the unit was/is listed as "unassigned, unattached" - essentially they could go anywhere and be assigned to any other unit needing logistic support (bridges) as well as fighting strength. On gentleman at the Army Center of Military History told me that in today's terms they would be considered 'special forces'.

But this is all I have been able to find - somewhat clinical and lacking in any detail. I was told that unless there was someone with a special interest in recording the company's history that the, 'dates and places' history is about as good as it will get. I am hoping that I can find someone who had a relative who served in this unit and potentially kept a diary or some type of personal history that might help fill in the gaps of my Grandfather's company history.

Respectfully,

Tom P.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Post the photos! We like them, plus they might be helpful in filling in information.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

5. Bart Ingraldi

Bart Ingraldi New Member

Tom,
    I just found your post, I just started to investigate my dad's military history. He served with the 191st from March 44 thru Nov 45. I don't have much more info than you but if I come up with something I'll post it.
    Bart I.

6. David Schaffer

David Schaffer New Member

Is this forum still active? My dad was a doctor with the 191st Battalion. He mentioned it was associated with the Ohio National Guard. Yes. China-Burma-India theater. If this is still active, please let me know. I have lots of info to share. And would love to see the photos you have. Have not seen them on this thread yet.

KMZgirl likes this.
  7. lwd

lwd Ace

The forum is definitely still active. Individual threads may be inactive for a while but sometimes all it take is another interesting post and they'll come back to life.

By the way I think I've seen a number of threads on the China-Burma-India Theater recently and not just on this forum. Possibly having just read Quartered Safe Out Here I'm a bit more sensitive to it though.