Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

20th Armored Division

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Krystal80, Mar 1, 2011.

1. hepcat1963

hepcat1963 New Member

I s'pose I could post this in "What My Dad Did During The War," tho it's certainly germane to this conversation. Attached is a cherished clipping from my dad's hometown (Long Island, NY) newspaper, regarding his 65th AIB (B CO.)'s Task Force 20 action at the SS Barracks & Anti-Tank School, outside Munich in April '45. Far as we can tell, this is the same unit and battle depicted in James (JMD62)'s dad's photo, above.

Coincidentally, tonite James located a 2011 newspaper interview with another 2nd Platoon veteran, PFC Duane Lackey.
    Mr. Lackey addresses at some length the mortal wounding of 2nd Platoon commander, Lt. Samuel Barnes. Barnes' death is referenced (tho not by name) not only in my attached news clipping, but also by hand on the back of one of my Dad's photo snapshots which he took the day after the battle. Barnes' death apparently loomed large. He must've made a large impression on the young men he commanded and led into battle.

The interesting article James found can be seen here: http://archive.baxterbulletin.com/article/20110728/NEWS07/107280341/Duane-Lackey-remembers-World-War-II-adventure

Best,
    Rich

Attached Files:

2. DSWOFFORD

DSWOFFORD New Member

The Lackey interview is so great...and gives oral verification by one who was there of the events recorded. Amazing. This is really great...we need to start to plan a reunion of descendents and any of the fighters who are still on the earth.
    Don

JMD62 and hepcat1963 like this.
  3. hepcat1963

hepcat1963 New Member

Hey Don,

There's at least this bunch.... Taken at last year's Final 20th AD Assn. Reunion, held nr. Fort Campbell, KY.

Best,
    Rich :)

Attached Files:

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  4. JMD62

JMD62 recruit

Hey Rich,

That is a great newspaper article on your Dad, I bet you treasure that! Thanks for sharing it : )

James

hepcat1963 likes this.
  5. hepcat1963

hepcat1963 New Member

Thanks, James. Indeed I do... The aforementioned 'badassery,' lol :D

6. hepcat1963

hepcat1963 New Member

Hey Don,
    Tried to email you my website design just now, but that email address bounced. Do you have another?
    Also, by chance are you on Facebook? Somehow we cobbled together 5 of us 20th AD kids / grandkids this weekend!
    Best,
    Rich :)

7. hepcat1963

hepcat1963 New Member

Hi all, Happy Holidays.

A quick update on the topic of repair or replacement of the 20th Armored Division website.

Presently the site remains in control of its originator, who may accomplish repairs at some point.

As mentioned earlier, I designed a replacement site. As I fear I don't have the time or resources to bring it to fruition as immediately as it deserves, I've gone ahead & accomplished what I consider the next best thing, at least for the interim (if not as a permanent fixture). In the last couple of days I adapted my design concept to an open & interactive 20th AD Facebook Group, where folks can find us, connect, and share their stories and photos. While not as comprehensive as a full website, it does allow stored files, which for the time being serve the purpose of substitute webpage tabs. It is a bit awkward, but as I say, certainly does get the job done (and accomplishes a lot of my objectives) until either the original site can be revived, or my replacement can be executed.

So that said.... I invite any & all interested parties to come join us, at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/815460371848035/

We look forward to seeing you!! :D

Best regards,
    Rich