Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

270th Field Artillery Battalion

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Nicelyb, May 25, 2018.

1. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee New Member

Merry Christmas everyone. I'm going to upload some photos that include scenes of 270th Artillery Battalion during WWII ETO. My father was William M Lee who went by the name of Max. As I understand it, Dad entered France on D-Day+3. He was a member of A-battery. Where the photos are identified, I will include that information. The first upload is a group photo in front of the Arc de Triumphe du Carrousel, Paris, France; perhaps participating in a tour. From letters Dad wrote home, he was within 2 battle points of being shipped home, in Paris, just prior to the Battle of the Bulge. William M Lee is 3rd from the left, kneeling.

Attached Files:

Nicelyb likes this.
  2. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee New Member

In these 2 photos we have a February 23, 1945, portrait photo of William M Lee which was made as a post card plus one of William M Lee and pal "Rudy" (print date 21 Aout, 1945). Rudy's name is based on a memory recall from 60 years ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    Nicelyb likes this.
  3. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee New Member

Here are 2 photos in 1 single file. The group image, I'd like to think, is some sort of initiation. Perhaps this was when William M Lee got promoted to sergeant. Dad was awarded his promotion right around the time the 270th arrived in Paris (as I recall from letters he wrote home). There's definitely a story there what with all the "bling" attached to Dad's desert helmet; we just don't know. Question: is that Maj. James C. Gabriel standing behind William M Lee? The 2nd picture flows with a series "in-the-field" of photos. Dad passed away in October of 1989, at the age of 66. Out of Dad's 3 children, I'm his #2 son, a Vietnam Veteran myself. My outfit in 'nam was the same 303rd MI Battalion (aka Longhorns) that provided comms/intel for the 3rd Army during WWII, including the 270th Field Artillery Battalion. I received my draft notice in '69, then enlisted into the signal corps upon reporting for induction. At completion of AIT, the Army Security Agency levied me into their sphere of operations and off to Vietnam I went. Many years later, now, I am an agent orange cancer survivor. As it turned out, graduating college via the GI Bil was a blessing for me. I was the first in my family to do so.

Attached Files:

Nicelyb likes this.
  4. Nicelyb

Nicelyb Active Member

Stephen, Thank You very much for sharing these photos and some context to go with it. Like you, I followed my father into the service. My Grandfather (270th member) was a Field Artillery man,My father was a Field Artillery man and I started my 28yr career in the Army as a Field Artillery man (13F). With your permission I will add these to my collection and share with others that may be interested. Again, Thanks for sharing!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  5. Nicelyb

Nicelyb Active Member

I scanned my list of names for a Rudy to no avail. I am tracking only about 1/2 of the names assigned to the Bn though, so he is probably a name I don't have yet. If Rudy is a nickname/middle name I did find a few that may be good potentials ( in A Battery, etc..)

Lester R. Kluting
    Regino Ramirez
    Oscar R. Ramos
    John R. Woolard
    Margarito R. Ybarra

Anything ring a bell?

Brian

6. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee New Member

Greetings Brian! I have a roster booklet of the third reunion of the 270th Field Artillery Battalion, Battery-A group. I will make an attempt this month to post the names listed. The booklet includes addresses plus phone numbers and, for some, the names of their wives. So those details will be edited out prior to posting. This 3rd reunion was held in Monroe, Louisiana, during the month of June, 1974. In this booklet, Merle P Arnold is listed in a column titled "Unlocated." The names you posted are listed in this booklet. I could only make a muddled guess as to who Rudy might be. OK, here are some pictures that I believe are of your grandfather Merle P Arnold:
    In the 1st shell prep photo, the fellow on the left looks to be your Grandpa Arnold.
    In the group photo, perhaps that's your Grandpa Arnold sitting just to the right of the upright 240 shell.
    Side note: It looks like he's got his hand around the shell to keep it from falling over. Shell is fused!
    3rd Photo: I remember Dad talking about this. It looks to be your Grandpa Arnold and he's out on the end
    of the barrel tube cleaning it with a ram rod. After so many firings the gun tube required a bore-cleaning
    through both ends of the barrel.
    4th photo is what I believe to have been taken after (or very nearly so) the end of the war in Europe.
    I believe this is where a large number of POWs were held and I'll show that more clearly in a
    subsequent post.

It's OK with me to take copies of these photos for personal reference. If they are being republished then please
    include a by-line with each photo such as: photo provided by Stephen Lee. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Nicelyb likes this.
  7. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee New Member

Here are some aircraft that the 270th Artillery Battery encountered during deployment. I actually think the German aircraft were captured at the war's end.
    1st photo shows a Junkers JU 52 troop/cargo/idiot fuhrer transport and paratroop platform. Unusual attributes included a tri-motor setup and unique corrugated skin.
    2nd photo = William M Lee posing in the pilot's seat of a Messerschmitt BF 110G. These were a twin-engine twin-rudder design that were poor performers (too slow & not adequately maneuverable) during the Battle of Britain. As such they were relegated to: a) the eastern front, and b) night fighter duty on the western front (which accounts for all the antenna structures mounted on the nose).
    3rd photo = a Messerschmitt ME 262 twin power plant jet. These (there appears to be 2 or 3 more in the right edge background) were in a state of incomplete build. Dad told me when they were first attacked by ME 262s the planes came in so quickly that the gun crew was caught totally by surprise. Dad dove into his 240 gun's 5' deep recoil pit which prevented the firing of the gun. Hearing his C/O shout, "who is that in the recoil pit?," Dad immediately clamored out of the recoil pit and they continued firing their 240 gun. The gun being so heavy, anyone caught in the recoil pit would have been crushed with the firing of its round. That was a one-time screw-up. Dad said that was the first and last time he ever dove into a recoil pit. These particular ME 262s were discovered hidden away in a wooded area. Among other items missing, there are no engines on the forward-most ME 262 in this photo.
    4th photo = US light observation aircraft. Hopefully it was a simple case of experiencing a ground-loop upon landing. Judging by the shape of the rear window, one can reasonably assume this to be an Aeronca L-3B Grasshopper.

I'll post additional pictures this next week. Today is Monday, December 14, 2020. To Brian: I went to 'nam as a 31S30, communications security equipment repair. I also had an MOS card for 67A10 which is the MOS that I was drafted for. Stephen Lee here, N7RV, 73's & take care all dit dit

Attached Files:

Nicelyb likes this.
  8. Nicelyb

Nicelyb Active Member

Stephen
    These are great photos and I thank you very much for sharing. I plan to use the photos for my own personal use and have no intentions of writing a book or anything of the sorts. If for some weird coincidence (it is 2020 and COVID is a thing) I decide to do some publishing I will ensure I give credit to those who provided the info. 90% of what I have gathered has been generously given by folks like you.

Unfortunately I don't think the fellas in the photos are my Grandfather. He shared some of their facial features but my mom and I both agree that it wasn't him. Thanks again! Truly appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  9. Gilpineda

Gilpineda New Member

10. Gilpineda

Gilpineda New Member

Yes I had posted that picture on Facebook after adding the text. Thanks, Gilbert

Nicelyb likes this.
  11. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee New Member

Here is the REUNION roster list for the 3rd reunion of the 270th Field Artillery Battalion held in Monroe, Louisiana. This reunion took place in June, 1974. Additional information: Robert Lee Presser was awarded the DSC (Distinguished Service Cross) as a private. He earned the rank of PFC (private first class). Robert Sheegog was also a PFC as was Regino Ramirez, Joe Alfred Pyle, and Frank Patterson. Fred B. Perry achieved the rank of major by the time he separated from the Army. I was able to confirm award and service rank by searching out grave markers plus looking up obituaries. There is a single list of all DSC recipients online. These is also available online one list of all artillery officers that ever attended the US Army's artillery OCS school in Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. A few more pieces of the puzzle, no? Enjoy

Attached Files:

12. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee New Member

Here are some photos that show a camp or camps. Judging by the creased pants (what we called being "stract" in the 60's-70's Army), this may be the 270th's staging camp in England. There's one photo showing lots of tents in the background. The sidewalls are up, ie, not winter time. Also, the backs of these photos are lacking the red "not for publishing-for personal use only" clearance stamp. I also want to encourage Mr. Gilpineda to download all the photo's I have uploaded. I used to have pictures of Caen, France; leveled to the ground. On their way out of Germany, after war's end, Dad was in Metz, Germany, with his commanding officer. Those photos plus many more are now MIA along with Dad's draft letter and his original DD-214. This site is a great community for rebuilding and preserving a much valued history. Take care all!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Gilpineda and Nicelyb like this.
  13. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee New Member

Here's a couple photo's of gun emplacements in firing position. There's one photo where they're dismounting the barrel for towing. I only know that because that's what Dad wrote on the back of the photo.

Attached Files:

14. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee New Member

These are my 2 favorite photos. First one shows 3 of the 4 main components of 1 artillery piece/system. We have the main gun/barrel stowed on its trailer being towed by the M6 high speed tractor. The M6 was the highest technology tracked vehicle in service at that time. Plus it was the fastest tracked vehicle in its day. The engine was 6 cylinder and it had 2 transmissions (as I recall) in series; one automatic transmission, and one standard transmission. Chrysler invented the 3-speed automatic transmission and its purpose was to smooth out the jerkiness of the standard transmission in heavy tracked war machines. We watched the training films for these in our auto shop class in high school back in the early 60's. What's missing in this photo is the crane. Oh, and all the shells plus bags of powder are carried in the M6 tractor along with the gun crew. So there needs to be a tow vehicle, gun/barrel, trailer, and crane; not what I'd consider a tactical weapon but evidently it was in its day. In this photo they are in Germany on the autobahn.

The second photo shows six barrels on trailers (count the tube's shadows, there's 6). The nearest barrel in the photo has been shortened. Perhaps a field repair? This photo was taken at war's end with all guns at rest.

Attached Files:

15. Nicelyb

Nicelyb Active Member

The pictures are awesome. These are the types of images I enjoy the most. Photos taken by random people to keep as a reminder of their adventure. Thanks again for sharing!

16. Nicelyb

Nicelyb Active Member

Thanks for the roster from the Reunion. I was able to add a unit to a few of the names.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  17. Nicelyb

Nicelyb Active Member

Per T/O & E # 6-395 and 6-397 dated 18 Aug ’43 The battalion was manned with 478 pax:

Headquarters and Headquarters Battery (HHB) 110ea pax

3 Firing Batteries (A,B and C) 111ea pax per Btry.

Service Battery 35ea pax.

Still a long way from 478 names, but getting there. Thats not including the 11ea pax assigned to the medical section. I have all their names thankfully.

18. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee New Member

There exists a fascinating 41 minute oral history by Jesse Eldred Dyess. Jesse was a vehicle mechanic with the 270th Artillery Battalion. Most everything Jesse speaks of aligns closely with what my Dad, William M. Lee, told me some 60 years ago. Jesse thought, with some uncertainty, they arrived in France on D-day +4. According to my Dad, he landed on Utah beach on D-day +3. Have a listen:

Jesse Eldred Dyess collection: Veterans History Project (Library of Congress

Gilpineda likes this.
  19. Nicelyb

Nicelyb Active Member

Stephen, Thanks for the link. I saw this interview a few months ago and copied it to my notes but never had the time to listen to it yet. Crazy busy household with work, kids, etc.. and I actually forgot about it until now. LOL I am listening to it now since things have slowed down due to the holidays.

One would think there are more of these types of interviews out there. Interviewing WWII veterans has become more popular lately. Trying to preserve their stories before they are all gone.

Here is one with Archie Roberts
    https://digitalarchive.pacificwarmuseum.org/digital/collection/p16769coll1/id/10342/

Here is another one. Not an audio interview, but more of a transcript of the interview. The gentlemen being interviewed seems to be an interesting character to say the least. He mentions being assigned to the 270th, but doesn't give a lot of details.
    https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/cgi/.../&httpsredir=1&article=1069&context=hgstud_oh

Thanks again.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    Gilpineda likes this.
  20. Nicelyb

Nicelyb Active Member

The individual Batteries of the 270th took group photos while at Camp Butner. I have A and B Batteries photos, but am missing C and HHB. Both photos I have were taken by a photographer named Rell S. (RS) Clements. He seemed to be one of a very few photographers that had panoramic capabilities back then and did a lot of photography for the military both in NC and around Lakehurst NJ.
    Anyone know if there is a collection of his work anywhere? I checked the Library of Congress and of course Google, but could not find the 2ea missing photos.

~Brian

Gilpineda likes this.