Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

2nd Armored Division

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Buten42, Jul 5, 2009.

1. fasteddy

fasteddy New Member

My Pop, now 94, mention liberating prisoner camps, none contained Jewish ppl in general. They also, sort of liberated a German Baby Camp... Where picked German women were used to have babies with picked true German males.

2. Buten42

Buten42 Member Patron  

What is your father's name. I have a roster for the 67th Armored Regiment-could be the same one you have.

3. fasteddy

fasteddy New Member

Ed Savacool

4. Powerhouse

Powerhouse New Member

Can you give us his name? I will see if I can found more informations about him.
    You can also read this book; "Hell on wheels : the 2nd armored division" by Donald houston.
    Sadly, The 78th AFA is not the most documented unit of the division...

5. Buten42

Buten42 Member Patron  

He's listed in the roster PFC Edward M. Savacool, Hq. Company of the 3rd Battalion. Shows he was awarded the Purple Heart.
    The 67th Armored History has a pretty good account of their action. Not real detailed but matches the after action reports pretty well, (probably where the author got most of his information). Is there anything in particular you want me to look up? Ask him if he remembers First Sergeant James Sharver-he was the top for Hq Company.

Captain John Erbes served as Battalion Surgeon for 3rd Battalion until he was promoted and assigned to Regiment. Erbes was the most decorated surgeon in WWII and wrote a book after the war titled "Hell On Wheels Surgeon". I had the honor to have him send an autographed copy of his book when I told him my brother was in the 67th Regiment. He may have worked on your father depending how serious his wounds were. Thank your father for his service-he seen a lot of action.