Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

30th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop (Mech) Timeline

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Slipdigit, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I was there that day, Ruud. We were on the top floor of the Glaspaleis. He had a large time talking with two two men and especially the lady TV reporter. He always was a sport with the women.

That was an impressive building. I wished I had had the time to look at it more closely. Our host's store was across the plaza.

Ruud likes this.
  2. Slipdigit

These men of the 30th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop (Mech) of the 30th Infantry Division gave their last full measure of devotion to our country.

May God rest their souls.

McClure, Sheldon A. Pvt 15-Jul-1944 Normandy, France

Billings, James R. T5 27-Jul-1944 Normandy, France

Vincenzo, Dominic Cpl 31-Jul-1944 Near St. Lo, France

Blackwood, Alec B. Pvt 7-Aug-1944 Mortain, France

Dombkowski, Edward P. T4 7-Aug-1944 Mortain,France

Kull, John J. T4 7-Aug-1944 Mortain,France

Obenour, Charles E. T5 7-Aug-1944 Mortain,France

Smith, Harland Pvt 7-Aug-1944 Mortain,France

Walker, Miles W. 2LT 7-Aug-1944 Mortain,France

Seal, Robert K. Pvt 11-Aug-1944 near Mortain, France

Babin, Richard E. Cpl 23-Aug-1944 near Evreux, France

Blankenship, Carlos S. Pvt 23-Aug-1944 near Evreux,France

Lyczynski, Richard L. Pvt 23-Aug-1944 Fains, France

Castner, Merlyn C. T5 28-Aug-1944 Pointoise, France

Dennis, Walter E.T5 2-Sep-1944 Gaurain-Ramecroix, Belgium

Haldiman, Frederick L 1LT 2-Sep-1944 Gaurain-Ramecroix, Belgium

Scott Francis E. SSgt 2-Sep-1944 Gaurain-Ramecroix,Belgium

Dale, Perry, E. Cpl 25-Dec-1944 south of Malmedy Belgium

Nila, Willebaldo PFC 12-Apr-1945 Siestadt, Germany

Works, Harold G. T5 12-Apr-1945 Siestadt, Germany

Vincenzo, Dominic S. Sgt 12-Apr-1945 Siestadt, Germany

I was able to visit some of the locations where these men died when Mr. Marion, Ms Peggy, and I were there in 2014. We were also able visit the graves of five of the six men who are buried in the hallowed grounds at Margraten, Henri-Chapelle and Normandy.

It was only after Mr. Marion died that I learned why he was so disturbed when we drove to where his friend, Edward Domkowski, died in the fighting around Mortain, France. It was a horrendous way to die and I am certain it affected Mr. Marion and the other men who witnessed it greatly. Also killed at the same location were Alec Blackwood, John Kull, Charles Obenour, Harland Smith and Miles Walker.

We laid a wreath at the intersection of Rue d'Antoing and Le Grand Route in Gaurain-Ramecroix, near Torunai Belgium, where Walter Dennis, Frederick Haldiman and the "Finest soldier I ever knew" Francis Scott died that terrible night of September 2, 1944.

I did not know that exact location where Dale Perry died on Christmas Day, 1944, but we were in the area and I wondered if we passed where he died as we were driving.

I have a copy of a photo of Richard Lyczynski made mere moments before he was shot and killed by a sniper while talking to French villagers. He was a fresh-faced boy, really.

One day I want to go to the German village of Siestadt where the last four men on the list died. The defenders of the village had raised white flags and as the men advanced to accept the surrender, the defenders fired on the vehicle column, killing the three and wounding several others. Included in those killed was Harold Works, a dear friend of Mr. Marion, who had predicted his own death 10 months before by saying he would die at the end of the war. Six days after his death, the 30th Infantry Division concluded offensive operations after taking Magdeburg, deep inside Germany.

KodiakBeer, TD-Tommy776 and LRusso216 like this.
  3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Saw it on Facebook. Thanks for mentioning them.

4. rat power

rat power New Member

I believe 2 men in that patrol were,pfc Herbert E.Stark,and pvt.Bernard Doucette both from Reading Ma.
    Both were captured and sent to muhlberg Germany,stalag 4b and liberated by the Russians in april and survived the rest of the war and both returned to Reading Ma.

Mr Stark was my uncle and rarely spoke of the Christmas day event,but the only time he ever spoke to me about it he mentioned "I stuck my head up out of a slit trench and was looking down the barrel of an 88 ......a royal f--king tiger...I thought we were all done.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
    Slipdigit likes this.
  5. Slipdigit

Thanks.

Are you James Powers?

6. rat power

rat power New Member

7. rat power

rat power New Member

also Jeff,strangely enough I acquired a diary and a huge pile of letters from another Reading 30th division soldier, sgt Albert Tarpin,230th field artillery,just started going thru the pile,will let you know if anything 30th recon pops up

regards,Jim

8. Slipdigit

Good

Please do let me know if you find any 30th CRT info. I'm always looking.

9. Angie Dvorak

Angie Dvorak New Member

I am Everett Weems granddaughter. I have had difficulty finding any references to his service in WW2, however I just received today his original discharge paperwork. It states he was with the 30th Calvary Recon troop and he did receive a Purple Heart. So maybe it wasn’t an clerical error or maybe it was one that was repeated. If you or any readers have suggestions on how I could follow up or learning more about his service, please let me know! I am very excited to spend more time learning and it was subject that he didn’t talk to me much about except a few stories. I would like to express my thanks to all veterans and current service people for their service and sacrifice for our country.

Daniel Nichols likes this.
  10. Slipdigit

The Morning Reports for 30th Cavalry Recon Troop are in St Louis. I looked through them a couple of weeks ago.

If he was wounded as a member of the 30th RCT, you would be able to find an entry listing his detachment from the unit. If he returned, that would be recorded also.

They have MRs for all of 1944 and 1945, and I think the 1943 reports are also there.

I want to go back and comb through them more thoroughly.

Angie Dvorak likes this.
  11. T4Brown

T4Brown New Member

Hello, I recently found out that my grandfather, Charles E Brown, was in the Guard’s 59th Infantry Brigade and was a T4 Field Lineman in the 30th Cavalry Reconnaisance Troop. He was at Normandy, Northern France, and Rhineland. He passed away in 1977, a year before I was born, so I dont know much other than what family has told me. Slipdigit, I bought your book and there was mention of a Thanksgiving Program that would be in the book but I never saw it. Basically anything anyone can tell me about what my grandfather would have done would be great! He told my grandmother he was a cook, so we dont have much to go on.

12. T4Brown

T4Brown New Member

13. Slipdigit

Thank you for buying the book.

I have your grandfather listed in my 30th Recon roster and he is on both the Thanksgiving and Christmas lunch lists.

Mr. Sanford mentioned that in late May or early June, 1944, the kitchen staff packed away the stoves and other kitchen equipment. They did not carry it with them when they crossed the English Channel the second week of June. The kitchen staff was rolled into the headquarters platoon and used for various duties as needed, mainly providing security for the troop HQ. I have the After Action Reports for the troop and donated them to here, if you want to download them and look at them. 30th Infantry Division I have converted most of the grid coordinates to latitude/longitude if you want to locate the HQ's location on a map.

If you would like to talk on the phone, let me know. I can also send you some other things that might interest you.

14. T4Brown

T4Brown New Member

Ah, so he was a cook to begin with and then became a lineman? I would love to see anything that you have. Is there a way to see a pdf of the lunch lists? Email works better for me, but if talking on the phone is better for you we could find a time. I havent seen a way to send a private message, but if I figure it out I will message you my email. If not I can share it here

15. T4Brown

T4Brown New Member

Okay, my grandpa’s ASN was 20 400 997 and the charley brown you have has a different number and wounded and was awarded a purple heart and as far as we know from his discharge papers he was not injured nor did he get a purple heart

16. Angie Dvorak

Angie Dvorak New Member

Hi all! I am Everett E. Weems granddaughter (mentioned on 6 July1944). I posted once before after I received his original discharge orders that stated he was in the 30thRTC. I have since seen her s Purple Heart and certificate stating he was in the 30th RCT. I also have examined a 50 francs paper currency that had about 30 names on it that I believe were people in his platoon - I was able to verify these names with a Thanksgiving roster 1943 for the 30th RTC at Camp Atterbury, Indiana (except for 1 name). This roster was found in Indiana military.org.

Yet another interesting fine while visiting back home! If anyone is interested, I can post the names of those written on the 50 francs or upload photos of it. And if anyone has any resources for further information, please let me know

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  17. Slipdigit

Please post the photo of the note, I would like very much to see it. That would help very much to identify who was in what platoon.

The avatar for my account is the Distinctive Unit Insignia of the 30th Recon.

18. Angie Dvorak

Angie Dvorak New Member

19. Angie Dvorak

Angie Dvorak New Member

20. Angie Dvorak

Angie Dvorak New Member

A photo of his platoon or unit (maybe?) as well, but it is too small to make out much. My grandpa is on the right bottom

0C6AB7E5-F0DE-4116-9F2A-108B23DE3A1F.jpeg

Attached Files:

Slipdigit likes this.