Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

394th Infantry Regiment information requested

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by pjparra, Sep 25, 2008.

1. pjparra

pjparra recruit

I was wondering if anyone could help me find some information on my uncle? He served in the Army from Dec 1940 to Sep 1945 and all I know was he was assigned to the Service Company 394th Infantry. His awards included the Bronze Star and nine campaign medals (European-Middle Eastern), CIB, Marksman w/rifle bar (and others). I got all this info from the National Archives and Records Administration and nothing first-hand. He died around 1982.
    Do you know what campaigns the 394th was involved in? Why would he receive a Bronze Star (no valor device as far as I know)? What would a Technician Fifth Grade do in an infantry unit?
    Sorry for all the questions, but my curiosity is getting the best of me. I just recently retired from the Air Force and I guess I got a bit nostalgic.
    Thanks!

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I moved your information request to it's own thread, pjparra.

The 394th was part of the 99th Infantry Division (ID). Research the 99th Infantry and you can find more information on the 394th Infantry Regiment(IR).

Here are some pages on the 99th ID
    99th infantry division - Google Search

Here is a search of the 394th
    394th infantry regiment - Google Search=

The 394th IR was heavily involved in the defense of the northern shoulder of the bulge during the Battle of the Bulge. The I&R Platoon, if memory servers, defended the Losheim Gap against incredible odds before being overwhelmed.

The 394th IR also helped to defend the twin villages of Krinkelt and Rocherath that allowed the 2nd ID (minus one regiment) to withdraw and form a new line to the west. Casualties were not light in this engagement.

The 99th ID was also one the early divisions to cross the Rhine River at Remagen.

As a Tech 5th, he could have done most anything from mechanic to radio repair/operation and many jobs in between to include being an infantryman. Technician ranks were originally instituted to give men who had a non-combat skill a rank without requiring them to command in combat. However, just because the soldier held a Technician rank does not mean he did not ingage in direct combat, he was first a soldier. A tech 5 was equal to a corporal.

3. JohnT

JohnT recruit

My Father was 99th infantry, 394th regiment anti-tank and I am also looking for information.
    He is now 88 Y/O and living in a VA home and I am his Guardian. Did you have any luck on your search ?
    The 99th has a published newspaper and website google the 99th infantry, and the publication is the checkerboard.
    This , the 394th , they were known as the Battle Babbie's and fought in the battle of the bulge, among others.
    Please keep me informed, Thank You. John T

4. ekrueger

ekrueger Member

Hi,

My grandfather (Lester Bivens) served in the 394th as well. He was a part of Company K. He passed away in 1979, but from my research, looks like he was in 2 of the platoons left behind at Buchholz station under Lt Rose's command. My grandfather was captured on 12/18 and held in Stalag XIII C.

I don't have any information specific to the anti-tank or service units, however, there are some resources out there for the 394th as a whole. For example, Capt Simmons has a publication out there on his command of Company K. Additionally, Major George Clayton has one out there regarding the command of the 3rd Battalion of the 394th. Both of these are specific to the first few days of the Bulge.

There is also several books out there regarding the 99th division(Once Upon a Time in war) and the 394th (Key to the Bulge). The former covers the entire war, and the latter is in regards to the Bulge (which I care about more since my grandfather was captured from that point, so the rest of the 99th/394th adventures don't pertain to me directly).

Hope that helps,

Erick

pistol likes this.
  5. ekrueger

ekrueger Member

Oh, one last thing, you mentioned the Checkerboard newspaper.
    You are aware that all historical issues are available online for free, right? These date back to either 1942 or 1943. There is a number of stories printed through out, and numerous member directories, etc over the years.

pistol likes this.
  6. Carlson792

Carlson792 New Member

My grandfather, Edward C. Dillon, served in M company for the 394th between march 1944 to October 1945. I am looking for information regarding my grandfathers deployment and hopefully some pictures. I have researched the units history and travels in Europe but I'm hoping for more. In the 70's my grandparents house caught fire and all pictures, letters and everything he had from the war was lost. Only recently, after my grandmothers passing, did we find his discharge papers and dog tags. He was from NY and had 4 children when he served. I hope someone can help.

7. lheytow

lheytow New Member

Ekrueger. My cousin (Jack Heytow ) was in one of the two platoons at Bucholz. Can we talk? We thought everyone was killed. That is what the final letter from capt Simmons said. We have also found out and located Lt Rose

8. lheytow

lheytow New Member

Ekrueger. My cousin (Jack Heytow ) was in one of the two platoons at Bucholz. Can we talk? We thought everyone was killed. That is what the final letter from capt Simmons said. We have also found out and located Lt Rose

9. baildu01

baildu01 New Member

My Great Grandfather served in Company K (Dec 1942 - Mar 1944) and Company M (March 1944 - Sep 1945) of the 394th. I have some documents and information that some might find helpful. Any information you can provide me would also be appreciated! Send me a private message if anyone would like to discuss this information. Thanks!

10. blanche

blanche New Member

I knew Jack Heytow. He was a close friend of my brother. I donated a group of his letters that he wrote during his service at up to the time of his death to the Smithsonian Museum, Washington, DC, Jack Heytow known to my family as 'J' died in combat in the Battle of the Bulge.

TD-Tommy776 and Otto like this.