Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

81st Infantry, 322 Regiment.."Wildcats"

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by snipeforever, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Eric Neece

Eric Neece New Member

2. B. Nechamkin

B. Nechamkin New Member

3. B. Nechamkin

B. Nechamkin New Member

It appears to be the 3d BN as listed on his paperwork. It is difficult to read, my copy of his Honorable Discharge Form (set up for re-enlistment) is damaged. Over the years I have not found much information about HQ Company so it was surprising to find someone’s else’s participation. Thanks for your previous message. I have a copy of Victory at Peleliu which has only a couple on mentions about HQ Company. I plan to contact the author, he is a friend of a friend so I hope to find out more info. I will post any updates relative to HQ Company..

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  4. AUSNK

AUSNK New Member

I have found very little on HQ company as well other than from briefly talking to Mr. Clift this past summer. I also got to hear a lecture by Mr. Blair that wrote Vicory at Peleliu. Def reach out to him, he is a very nice guy and has a lot of info on the Battle.

Another good book on the 81st that I recently was made aware of is Breathes There a Soldier. Very good book written from the journal of a soldier in the 321st. Gives a very good picture of Training through the end of the war from a soldiers prospective.

5. AUSNK

AUSNK New Member

We recently found picture of my grandfathers Platoon and other items in some of my grandparents documents. HQ. CO 2nd Bat 323rd Anti-Tank. Soldiers are named and grandfather is on the first row, last on right side.

Attached Files:

6. James Fayard

James Fayard New Member

Thank you for the picture. I have tried to find a picture of my dad, James Fayard, from anything on Peleliu. He was there with the 81st and as far as which regiment, etc. he was in I have no idea. He talked about WWII to me for about 10 minutes on his 80th birthday. He was also in the fighting on Okinawa at Naha. He said that Okinawa was a war, it was horrible....but that he hated beyond all belief Peleliu.

Regardless, I made a trip there with the National WWII Museum (they have a touring section) March of 2019. What I do know from my dad is that he was at the final battle when they took down the Japanese HQ on Peleliu. He spoke of Japanese dragging water cans at night to a low spot for water which they responded with flares and M1's to preven that. I wondered at the time what he really meant and then read about it in a book. Fortunately because there was a demined/cleared pathway I saw the final HQ location and took a picture.

If anyone knows of a picture showing the guys who fought the final battle and what their regiment/company was I would appreciate a reply.

7. Andrew H

Andrew H New Member

I found some pictures of my grandfather. I’m not sure if this was during basic training or what. They have pith helmets and what appear to be 1903 Springfield rifles.

Attached Files: