Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

980th Field Artillery Battalion Pictures - Training to Germany

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by ISUnorth, Jun 7, 2012.

1. 980th fab

980th fab New Member

Dear Friends,
    My father entered service from New York, I recently got hold of a number of photos during training in the desert and others in Belfast. If you guys want I find no problem to show them here.
    What i want to know is where did the 980th FAB landed in D-Day, from the studies i did i am concluding that they landed in Utah at about 0900 hrs.

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

B Battery, 980th Field Artillery Battalion landed c. 0900 hours on UTAH. It was attached to the 4th ID. The rest of the 980th (minus residuals still in England) landed later in the day (I do not have a time). The 980th FA Bn was part of VII Corps artillery and was attached to either the 142d or 188th FA Group (I suspect the latter).

980th fab likes this.
  3. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

BTW, the Morris Swett Library at the U.S. Army Field Artillery School, Fort Sill, OK is the repository for unit histories. They have one for the 980th under "UA30.2 (980), 980th Field Artillery Battalion, Unit History." Reach out to them.

4. 980th fab

980th fab New Member

Thanks for the info

5. 22hipower1

22hipower1 New Member

Great pictures and commentary.

6. 22hipower1

22hipower1 New Member

This is my first time on this site but I'm so pleased to have found it. I've been researching a CPT H O Welch as I recently acquired a S&W revolver which was presented to him by the members of his unit (C Battery, 144th FA) in 1937. I've been trying to find out more information about his life and service (WWI and Korea as well as WWII) and it was terrific to find this post and pictures about the 980th FA which he commanded from the time the unit was formed at Ft. Lewis until the end of the war. I'll try to upload a couple of pictures of the revolver which happens to be a quite rare and highly collectible Smith & Wesson 357 Registered Magnum. Thanks again for the pictures and commentary and especially thanks to Corporal Marvin L. Snyder who captured the pictures and retained them after the war; he was a clearly a hero of the 980th FA. Reg Mag.jpg Reg Mag.jpg Reg Mag 6.jpg