Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A Fighter Pilots Story

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Jkaartt, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Jkaartt

Jkaartt Member

For those of you that are interested in what some of our Fighter pilots in the war experienced emotionally, and also, interested in Post Traumatic Stress, should see this video. " A Fighter Pilots Story" by Quentin Aanenson. He was from Minnesota and enlisted in the AAC and flew the P-47 Thunderbolt. It is a real eye opener. My sister actually wrote him about the video she had seen on a PBS. He wrote her back a very nice letter and I have a copy of it. She and I both have been trying to understand what our father went through, and why he committed suicide at such a young age. He too was a p47 Thunderbolt pilot, flew 109 missions (straffing) in the Mediterranean. You can purchase this dvd from his wife , Jackie (he recently passed). you could google the dvd and get the info to order.
    I highly recommend this dvd.

JK

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Welcome and thanks Jkaartt for the post. I've included a link here:
    Title: A Fighter Pilot's Story
    Looks to be a great read.

I found this on 'U-tube":

[YOUTUBE]9dfaJdZO9VY[/YOUTUBE]

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I totally agree, it is a fine documentary and should be seen by everyone here. A brave tough gentleman who did his job well while describing it with reality and sadness. The most poignant part was the questioning as whether to strafe German soldiers in the last few days of the war as they struggled to get home.

It makes my list of best documentaries. Very sorry to hear about your dad but this film gives understanding to it.

GB

4. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

BTW, it showed up on the Military Channel on our cable network in 2 hour long episodes.

Gaines

5. Jkaartt

Jkaartt Member

Sorry I never got back after you replied. Thanks for your response. I am still doing a lot of research and reading, and watching documentaries (for the last 2 yrs).
    JK

6. Jkaartt

Jkaartt Member

Sorry I am just getting back to you. Thanks for the Website. It is a great website. I did not know it existed
    JK