Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A List of Marine & Navy Pilots who died during WWII?

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Sterling Mace, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Sterling Mace

Sterling Mace WWII Veteran

Does anyone know of a list of Marine and/or Navy pilots who were killed during WWII?

There was a pilot, he flew a Hellcat, and he was shot down on Sep. 15th, 1944, the day we landed on Peleliu. I saw the plane get smacked out of the sky and go straight down on the insland as we were going in on the amtracs.

Later that day we saw the crashed plane and it had hit right on the Jap airfield. I don't think we were supposed to; nevertheless, we want out on the airfield as the sun was going down to investigate the Hellcat. As you can imagine the plane was all tore up. However, the pilot was still relatively in one piece inside his broken cockpit.

He was the first dead American I witnessed.

I always wondered what was his name, where he was from, how old he was, etc... Since I know the date and place of death I thought there might be some answers on the great web. I just have turned up nothing everywhere I've looked.

Does anyone know where I might check? Thank you.

Sterling Mace K/3/5

2. wildonewest

wildonewest recruit

Hi sterling
    I first seen your name on the yahoo groups "WWIIBARMAN" and before I begin I would like to thank you for your service you gave for this great country!!
    I did a google search on your name and I ended up here. My only question I'd like to ask you is Where you a BAR man during your service?

After I read your post about the pilot I thought maybe I could help. I remember a web sight that I was looking at called www.pacificwrecks.com
    I also found this page that might help you http://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/palau/peleliu/index.html

Some where on the web sight I found a page that list the aircraft shot down by date and the crew names but that was some time ago and I can't find it now but maybe you can and I will also keep looking.
    Hope this helps! Chris Young

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I've found a mention of it, but that is all.

4. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Fred Wilson likes this.
  5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Wow, if this is the one this aircraft was apparently found only two years ago, but no remains of the pilot.
    Sept 15th was the first day of the invasion of Peleliu

6. obxgyrene

obxgyrene Member

According to records, two F6F-3Ns were lost that day on Pelieu. Both were from VF-13 aboard the USS Franklin (CV-13). The names and fate of the pilots are not listed but perhaps you could e-mail the webmaster of the website: USN Overseas Aircraft Loss List September 1944