Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Admiral Kimmel's Family Seek Reputation Restoral

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Jan 3, 2017.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

That would be a great thread. Somebody should start it.

2. freebird

freebird Member

I take that as an invitation. ;)
    I will post that

3. Takao

Takao Ace

Yes, Brereton was directly picked by Mac.

4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Like you I'm working from memory here, but as I recall planes had been launched (3 Fighter sqns and all serviceable B-17's) at about 8:30 am but were eventually recalled (about 10:00 am) to be refueled for future operations. The Japanese attack force was delayed by weather and struck Clark in that golden hour between the initial US launch and before they could get fully airborne again. Had there been no weather delay on Formosa, Clark would have been largely empty of her 1st class aircraft.

Granted the refuel should have been staggered, but there was much to be learned at all levels in the US military in the opening days of the war. I stand by my earlier opinion that Mac was not cashiered because of his profile, still in contact with the enemy and the command faults of Short and Kimmel were of a greater scale and had the assets to mitigate them.

I agree politics played a role in both outcomes, but Kimmel and Short insisted on standing a Court even when asked/advised to wait till after the conflict. They would have to know that 'clearing' them would require revelation of info that could harm the future prosecution of the war in the Pacific.

If you gonna blame someone over MacArthur then you should argue for the impeachment of FDR, he kept him and promoted him for political and military reasons.

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

And they also knew that it wouldn't "clear" them. Simply having access to more of the same wouldn't have changed things. They got a "war warning" in late November, and the situation didn't improve.